Lavatory drain size mismatch

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve42

Reaction score
I didn't notice an introductions area on the site, so I'll just say that I was directed here by bronsonb from the John Bridge - Tile Your World forum.

My wife and I are in the process of remodeling our front bath, and when I got ready to reinstall our existing pedestal sink, I realized a) the new p-trap assembly I purchased was not going to fit and b) the old p-trap assembly must have made it into the waste collection when they came to get the stuff that was torn out.

The pipe/nipple exiting the wall is approx. 1-7/8" OD. If I recall correctly, on the old assembly, the outlet pipe slid inside this nipple and then a slip nut tightened onto the nipple to lock it in place. I could be wrong on this, as it has been a few weeks since the sink was removed. In any event, I'm at a standstill on the sink until I figure out what I need. I could rely on the associates at HD or Lowes, but I'd rather go in armed with some knowledge.

Thanks for your assistance.

Steve

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The pipe from the wall is a 1-1/2" pipe.
The tail piece on the lav drain is 1-/4"
You would normally get a standard 1-1/2" p-trap and use a 1-1/2" x 1-1/4" reducing slip joint washer on the tail piece.
That should do it.
Terry

Steve42

Reaction score
Terry,

The pipe from the wall is larger than 1-1/2". At the mouth of the pipe, the OD is 1-13/16" threaded - once the threads stop, the overall OD of the pipe is about 1-7/8". I would estimate that the ID is about 1-11/16" or so. I can't attach a photo right now because I am using my work computer, but I took a picture of it with a tape measure across it so I would have it.

Thanks,
Steve

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

That IS the size of 1 1/2" pipe. You need a 1 1/2" tubular trap, (it will have a 1 1/2x1 1/4 slip washer with it to connect to your sink drain).

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
Yes everything is as it should be. As you noted the Pipes are given with a nominal size, none of the dimensions measured on the pipe are likely to be the nominal diminsion.
For example on copper pipe the Outside diameter of the pipe is definded as nominal size plus 1/8" so a half inch pipe will have a 5/8" outside diamter etc....

Michael

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks