Real World Risks (Pic Included)

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
Whenever I read about building codes I sometimes wonder what the implications are for when they aren't followed. I wonder this because I know that the codes exist for a reason, and sometimes for many reasons. In plumbing doing certain things the wrong way can cause a vacuum that can pull the water out of your p-trap, thus allowing sewer gas into your home, for example.

So I find it interesting, and it makes me wonder, based on the photo below, what would be the real world implications of what I believe is a code violation.

Background: This is not my home, it's a friends and I believe it was built in the late seventies, let's say 1979 for sake of argument. I'm not totally sure if this is how the wiring was when it was built, but it certainly hasn't been changed in the past ten years that I've known this person. That means that even though I believe this to be a code violation, at least by todays code, it's never been a problem all of these years. That makes me wonder, what would be the possible implications of this wiring setup.

Also, it's my understanding that splices should be in an accessible junction box, and probably be connected with wire nuts. The photo below shows wiring that is normally inaccessible. These wires run from the ceiling, one of the splices powers a central gas heater, and I believe the other goes to a bathroom.

Attachments

• briandl_wires.jpg
    briandl_wires.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 410
Last edited by a moderator:

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
Ya, that's not how it should be done, but the conductors are seperated, so that helps with heat.
In all liklyhood the conductors are sodered which makes a great connection.

So while this would most likly not cause any safetey issues, it is poor workmanship

PM5K

Reaction score
I was wondering how they were connected. How common is it to solder them? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My last house had all of the junctions soldered and taped (in boxes).

Unsheathed wires could never be exposed like that since back in the days of knob and tube....

Not only is is an uncontained splice, but there are no cable staples supporting the wire. Nothing there to prevent someone from tugging on the cable and pulling the whole works apart.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Solder is applied with heat, current causes heat; this is enough to let someone know that solder is not a good idea.

Rodents would love to find that as the glue on the tape is one of their favorites.

Rodents moving about in the space could possibly put stress on those joint just enough to cause them to start arcing which would be bad.

It don’t take a lot of thinking to figure out many reasons why this is a bad situation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Junctions should be in boxes, and the box must be accessable (i.e., the cover able to be opened). they may have soldered the connection, or crimped. It doesn't look thick enough to have a wire nut under the tape.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Solder is applied with heat, current causes heat; this is enough to let someone know that solder is not a good idea.

A surprising statement. Almost every off the shelf solder has a 300' F melting point. One has to work hard to find a 90' C solder, which would still match the wires
temperature rating.

Solder isolates the wire from vibration loosening, internal corrosion, and in the case of submersible pumps, is a very important detail in underwater splices.

As to rodents, they like NM cable as much or more than tape. They have a taste for th and thhn too - had a box stripped bare by a screwball rat.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Do you really believe that someone who would put a wire in like that would even know HOW to solder it? And what was your first clue that it might NOT be installed to code? I am surprised they did not put that wire in a shower to make it a complete hazard. As far as "heat melting the solder", heat only occurs with loose connections.

JWelectric

Reaction score
As far as "heat melting the solder", heat only occurs with loose connections.

Evening folks,

When unplugging the space heater cord, it was very hot, the plug itself and about 12- 16 inches down the cord...hotter toward the plug.

In any high current draw the conductor will heat up. There won't need to be a loose connection for this heat to happen.

In most cases a soldered joint will be done with electronic solder (60/40) that just won't stand up to the current draw.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The right way to make a solder connection, is to start with a good physical connection. The solder is just there to prevent oxidation and not to carry much of the current. If the conductor heats up enough to melt the solder, there are bigger problems to worry about.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/solder/
solder12.jpg

JWelectric

Reaction score
The right way to make a solder connection, is to start with a good physical connection. The solder is just there to prevent oxidation and not to carry much of the current. If the conductor heats up enough to melt the solder, there are bigger problems to worry about.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/solder/
solder12.jpg

I agree as long as the proper solder is being used. If not then the solder can melt long before the conductor is damaged or the overcurrent device opens.

Or the the solder itself can cause damage to the insulation of the conductor.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello Group,

The Insulation would melt, Far before the solder would, If it soldered correctly.

It should be in a junction box at the least, but soldering is not a problem as long as acid flux is not used.

Have a Great Day.

DonL.

"Theory only works in a vacuum" , there are just to many unknown variables in every day life.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks