Bringing plumbing to an outdoor shed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Aprofetto

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I plan on building a shed in the near future and have a couple of questions. I want to run electrical and plumbing to it. The electrical is easy as I can just dig a trench and run the conduit for the wiring.

I'm worried about the plumbing part. The shed will be approximately 40' or so from the house. I live in Ontario and I think code is that plumbing needs to be 5' underground to clear the frost in the winter.

Even if I can dig a 5' deep trench for which I can run the water lines, how do I get it into the house? Is it safe to drill holes into your foundation 5' below grade? And what about the drain pipe?

Any ideas? Maybe I'm just crazy trying to get plumbing to a shed outdoors. But this summer I will be installing an outdoor kitchen which will be only a few feet from the house and I would like to have a sink outdoors which will definitely require plumbing.

PM5K

Reaction score
How much more trouble would it be to get to the plumbing before it enters the house and run it to the shed?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I hope you realize that IF you have to ask these questions, you are trying to do a job that you are not qualified for. Contact a plumber in your area to install the pipes according to code.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pipe could be installed so that it could be turned off and drained in the winter. You surely won't be using water then. But, it still would be wise to hire a plumber to work out the details and do the job.

BenWara

Reaction score
dude don't let everyone scare you off. I'm not a plumber either but i've tacked some stuff. Out here in south dakota (not sure how they act out your way) I just call the plumbing inspector and tell him what i want to do. I was pretty surprised how helpful they are. I just moved some plumbing under my slab and when he came out to inspect it he gave me all the rules to finish it up like how long the tailpipe for the washer drain had to be and where i needed a clean out. When I call the office to ask for them the secretary says, "he's not in, would you like his cell phone?". he even called me back once to give me more info he thought i needed. doesn't get any better than that.

Stay away from asking people at home stores and (don't burn me for this) random people on the internet. If you can get what is okay straight from they guy signing off on it that is 100% the best. Just google to get a rough idea of that you are doing.

Aprofetto

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, any plumbing or other work that I am not qualified to do I will certainly have a qualified individual hired.

I was asking more to see if a drain/water supply lines could actually be drilled into the foundation midway below grade and if it is recommended or not.

I do have a couple friends who do plumbing full time, perhaps I can ask them as well.

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks