Clay Pipe tie in

Users who are viewing this thread

Burked1234

Reaction score
Hi-

I have a 1916 house in Pittsburgh. When it was built, the gutters drained into the house and under the basement floor through the clay pipe that runs to the sewer. We changed this when we moved in as it was a code violation, and capped the pipes. I am thinking of adding a second bathroom in the front of the house, which is on the opposite end from the stack. There is a capped clay pipe in the basement directly under where i would put the bathroom. Any issues with tying into that for waste? I have a straight shot down to it, and can vent out above the roof on the side of the house.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
100 year old clay pipe? If you are going to the trouble and expense to put an addition on, you should think about replacing that deteriorating dwv system and bring it up to code. No doubt the lines have settled over the years and sections are not sloped properly.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Have to agree with (Basement_Lurker ) there's no way I would tie into existing clay pipe unless I was forced to.

Burked1234

Reaction score
Define "forced to" ;)
The pipe runs under the a finished floor of the basement, so i'm not inclined to bust that open unless i have to (and getting out through the back yard would require demolishing my porch, so, probably not going to do that.

but, good points non the less

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
You might be close to being forced to; I would get a video of the line to be sure there is nothing wrong with it that might bite you, luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks