High Spout Faucet for Bathroom Sink ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Kstuart

Reaction score
Hi !

As mentioned in previous posts, we moved to a new place (basic structure from 1979 with some modernizing).

Anyway, my wife has decided that the master bathroom sink is too low (32 inch), but fortunately, before we had the thing ripped out, I inquired further and found out that only the height of the faucet spout really mattered to her.

The sink is a very standard 20x17 porcelain as seen at big boxes, with 4 inches between the hot and cold hole centers. In poking around online, the biggest increase I can get from a "high-arc" or "high-rise" bathroom faucet is another 4 inches of height, which is an inch or two short of what we want.

SO:

1 - Is there any reason not to use a Kitchen or Bar faucet as long as it fits the hole pattern ? We never fill the sink, so the lack of a pull is unimportant. I've seen some Bar Faucets online that have the right spout height and have 4 inch spacing, and certainly lots of high Kitchen faucets, although most require at least 6 inch spacing.

2 - Is there such a thing as an "extender" or "spacer" (or perhaps another term is used) that would raise up the existing faucet ?

3 - Any other suggestions or recommendations of specific faucets with high spouts ?

Thanks !

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a standard 20x17, you may also want to look at single hole sinks; the faucets for those can be much higher.

Attachments

• grohe_32185000c.jpg
    grohe_32185000c.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,395
Last edited:

Kstuart

Reaction score
If you have a standard 20x17, you may also want to look at single hole sinks; the faucets for those can be much higher.

Do you mean replace the sink ? Would the one you are suggesting have a larger hole, because this has a center hole as well as the other two holes, and I could just do some decorative plugs in the other two holes.

Or did you mean "single hole faucet" ?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF the center hole is large enough, most companies make plates designed to match to cover those extra holes (essentially, it is one larger flat plate). Some manufacturers make vanity pull-out faucets, which, if you are going to do something like wash your hair, is a lot nicer than sticking it under a fixed faucet, no matter how high it is. This is one example of a faucet with a pull-out for a vanity: http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/33171

Attachments

• Grohe pull-out.jpg
    Grohe pull-out.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,414

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
most bar faucets ARE 4" centers and as long as you do not need a drain operating rod it will work. However, most of them also have the spout directed straight down so there is not a lot of space between the water flow and the back of the sink. These days ALL sink faucets are 8", although some can be converted to 6" for the occasional Sears sink with 6" hole spacing.

Kstuart

Reaction score
I did a lot of web searching, and the 4" centers Bar Faucet looks like the best option. Bathroom Faucets seems to be low, and Bar Faucets high as part of their designs - presumably Bar Faucets need to fill a Water Pitcher or Thermos, hence the high arc.

So, since we don't use the drain plug, it seems like a good tradeoff to lose it in order to get the desired high arc.

Thanks much for your input, which helped me feel that I had not missed some important factor.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
You could install a vessel sink with an extended vessel sink faucet, or you could just install a wall mount faucet at any height you want...

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
He wants to change the faucet, NOT do a bathroom remodel.

Hence why I said "you could" and not "you must." The wife's initial complaint was with sink height, perhaps a vessel sink was something she hadn't thought of.

...did you skip your morning coffee today?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Axor Citterio BAR faucet projects forward several inches, and has a handle that women love. You can position the handle on the left, right, or center. Centering it puts it near the spout because it's a long handle. See the axor hansgrohe web site. Hope this helps kstuart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks