Uponor vs Viega (Propex Expansion vs Pureflow Crimp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Helm

Non-pro Polymath
Reaction score
As noted in another thread, I am getting ready to completely re-pipe a house we are buying. I was all set to order the M12 expander tool and go with the Uponor system.

However, a plumber acquaintance of mine does a lot of Viega crimp work and offered to loan me the crimp tools.

Sooooo, I have read practically everything I can find on the web (including searching this forum) and I really can't find a good reason to go with one system over the other.

In Uponor's favor, there is the slightly better flow - presumably from the slightly greater ID of the fittings. There is also just something elegant and beautiful (minimalistic perhaps) to me about the expansion system. I would probably use the EP fittings.

The only downside I see is the $400 for the M12 kit. I could probably flip it at a small loss, but we will be building another story or two on top of this house next year. I wil need the tool then also.

On the other hand, I haven't read anything actually bad about Viega. They haven't had any de-zinc issues that I have heard of. Borrowing the tools means another $400 can go to sheetrock, carpet etc.

As it stands now, I am still leaning toward Uponor. So, this is kind of like a wedding - if you know of *any* reason that I should not be wedded to Uponor, *please* speak now. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are three manufacturing methods of pex tubing, labeled as -A, -B, and -C. Uphonor uses -A, which is the most flexible and has the smallest minimum bend radius. What does the Viega tubing use? -A is the only type that can be repaired (with a heat gun) if it gets kinked. The other types require you to cut it out and install a fitting. My personal preference is to utilize the natural shape memory of the expansion system to seal, rather than a crimp, which is pushing against where it really wants to go.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It makes no difference which you choose. You will never get a definitave answer from any group of plumbers on this issue so go with what cost the least.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It makes no difference which you choose. You will never get a definitave answer from any group of plumbers on this issue so go with what cost the least.

Yes I use the best PEX there is and it's not either of those... LOL

Matt Helm

Non-pro Polymath
Reaction score

I am not usually looking for what costs the least. With tools and other objects I usually try find the 80/50 spot - 80% of the performance for 50% of the cost.

However, with the plumbing in the walls I would rather pay extra for marginally better quality (within the constraints of the project - that is, pex instead of copper). I would rather pony up the $400 for the tools if the expansion system is better than the crimp system.

Admittedly, I will have few fittings that are inaccessible later - probably just the showers.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
again Matt, just flip a coin and be done with it. Buy what is readily available to you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks