(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest, easiest way to cut rusted / corroded toilet bolts from tank

Default Fastest, easiest way to cut rusted / corroded toilet bolts from tank

I contend that this corrosion happened because there was a metal washer on the inside of the tank between the brass bolt head and the rubber washer. It was rusted on the inside and out. It never fails that when I see the corrosion on the outside of the tank, that there is a metal washer inside the tank. It also doesn't help when folks put those chlorine tablets inside the tank either. Figured I'd start video taping some of my most common repairs.

When I do plumbing jobs, I'm in and out of there in minutes, not hours. I'm talking swapping toilets, toilet repairs, swapping sinks, faucets, dishwashers, garbage disposals...and now...swapping hot water heaters.

I didn't see anything else like this on this site so I figured I'd post it so a DIY'er could just knock it out and not suffer through doing it the long way....or even worse...bringing a Plumber out and watching his Apprentice ride the clock (that's not a dis on Plumbers everywhere, just the ones in Augusta).

Anyone have a faster/better way to get those old corroded bolts off?

reciprocating saw

Roto Zip with a Cut Off Wheel

The washer under the bolt head causes the leak that causes the corrosion....

Steel bolts are the cause of the corrosion. A metal washer under the bolt head would leak immediately. I use much longer SawZall blade so the saw does NOT have to contact the tank, nor does the blade have to "angle" to fit between the tank and bowl.

Default Lol

I have done that before! but when ever i install a toilet i use a tank bolt with rubber on top, rubber on bottom then washer then nut, then washer and nut under bowl

You almost lost the tank at the end there, lol. faster is not always better, like when you break someones toilet and have to foot the bill for a new one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome2877 View Post
    You almost lost the tank at the end there, lol. faster is not always better, like when you break someones toilet and have to foot the bill for a new one!

Hardly call that "almost losing the tank" at the end there, buddy. I haven't lost one yet. But I have seen a plumber prop the tank lid against the cabinetry, later trip on it, and actually break it on more than one occasion. Know why the tank lid wasn't weighing down the tank and not even in the shot? Because a DIY'er has sense enough to lay it flat in the bathtub. "Faster isn't always better?" Spoken like a true Plumber, set in his ways, who has perfected riding the clock. It's called using the right tool for the job. I suppose I almost lost my finger since they were so close to the blade...and I almost drowned too since my head was so close to the water in the toilet bowl that I could have lost my balance and went head first. Could have pulled a muscle in my back while getting up. And I suppose you walk to work because you "almost" got in an auto accident once - "faster isn't always better", right? Using generalizations where they do not apply doesn't make you sound informed. This method is faster AND better than the traditional hack saw. Geesh. Some folks will argue anything for the sake of arguing.

Listen BUDDY! The best and fastest way to cut that bolt would be with a multi cutter in one hand while holding the tank with the other. We plumbers have this thing called call backs. You don't get paid when you go back to fix something because you did the job as fast as you could and missed something or worse caused damage to property and then are liable for repairs. What would have happened if you had brocken that tank? If I did I would have to replace the toilet as they don't make those tanks anymore. So Thats a trip to the wholesaler out of my pocket and back and the time to istall it. Bragging that it takes you minutes to do theses jobs and watching this video makes me lauph! Please do continue to post more.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some of the things Jerome mentions are things we have to be aware of.

1) Never, ever put anything in the homeowners tub. It is too easy to chip a tub, and tub replacements can go for $3,500.00

I find it funny when I get to a job with a toilet setting in tub with a nice big chip where the handyman "almost" got the toilet in without banging the tub.
    If I'm doing any extended work, it goes in the garage, after it takes a shower with a garden hose outside.

The video does show how hard it is to remove old rusted bolts from a tank. That's one reason I prefer removing the old toilet to a dumpster and replacing it with something new. Something that comes with "BRASS" bolts. If I have brass bolts and nuts, I don't need the sawzall.
    I can quickly spin off the brass nuts and I'm done in less then a minute.
    That also gives me a chance to save the homeowner some money with a water saving, cost saving, water bill saving bowl that also gets the $100 rebate. Yeeha!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome2877 View Post
    Listen BUDDY! The best and fastest way to cut that bolt would be with a multi cutter in one hand while holding the tank with the other. We plumbers have this thing called call backs. You don't get paid when you go back to fix something because you did the job as fast as you could and missed something or worse caused damage to property and then are liable for repairs. What would have happened if you had brocken that tank? If I did I would have to replace the toilet as they don't make those tanks anymore. So Thats a trip to the wholesaler out of my pocket and back and the time to istall it. Bragging that it takes you minutes to do theses jobs and watching this video makes me lauph! Please do continue to post more.
    No sir. You can't use a multi cutter on this tank because the distance and angle wouldn't have allowed you to. If you noticed (right before I "almost" cut my fingers off) that I had to angle that blade to get around the porcelain ledge that is built into the top of the bowl AND the bottom of the tank, right where I need to cut. A multi cutter would have "sanded down" that rim in a second flat. Now YOU are purchasing a new tank and bowl with your method. Who's laughing now? Your only argument (tank "could" have fallen) is based on an event that didn't happen, and wasn't even likely to happen considering the tank is not laying flat, but sitting on a gasket, so it's expected to teeter like that. It's not going anywhere - just like you see in the video. I would ask you to post some videos of your work, but we both know youtube has a time limitation, and your 45 minute bolt cutting technique with a hack saw wouldn't pass the upload limit. If it'll make you feel better, I'll modify the video and add a bungee strapped to the tank and bowl so that you and your apprentices can wrap your brains around it, and actually accomplish this dare devil feat. And if in the case of cutting toilet bolts, as you say, "faster isn't better" then why on earth are you pretending like you use a multi cutter to begin with? I can see right through you. Keep posting Jerome, you crack me up Buddy!

Concerning "bragging": I can certainly understand how you would perceive a method that's faster and better than yours as "bragging", considering how it would make you feel *if* you are a Plumber set in your ways who has perfected riding the clock. I get it. I'm only sharing a better and faster way so a DIY'er won't suffer through using a hack saw, or even worse, paying a Plumber to come out, who's set in his ways with slow techniques, who's riding the clock, with every "shoulda coulda woulda" excuse in the book to justify his slow techniques, while getting paid by the hour. Did you not notice that a couple of Plumbers already posted that they use a sawzall, even HJ, who is one of the most experienced Plumbers posting on this site?

Terry, true, you'd not want to put a tank lid in a *cast iron* tub, but *this* tub is acrylic , and it has a special bottom (tub mat) on it to prevent slippage so it's most certainly fine to place a tank lid there under those conditions (none of it shown in the shot because it's immaterial to the video). Good point, though.
    Last edited by augusta; 04-09-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by augusta View Post
    When I do plumbing jobs, I'm in and out of there in minutes, not hours. I'm talking swapping toilets, toilet repairs, swapping sinks, faucets, dishwashers, garbage disposals...and now...swapping hot water heaters.
    Actually Augusta this is the bragging you were doing, I guess you forgot.

I didn't need a YouTube video to learn how to cut a bolt with a sawzall either...

Quote Originally Posted by augusta View Post
    Did you not notice that a couple of Plumbers already posted that they use a sawzall,
    Exactly, this isn't an new discovery, stop patting yourself on the back now...

Quote Originally Posted by dlarrivee View Post
    Exactly, this isn't an new discovery, stop patting yourself on the back now...
    What's also not a new discovery is your bad attitude on this forum. How have you positively added to this discussion, dlarrivee? I'm convinced that you are only here to troll. Two posts in a row from you and nothing but negativity. If you want to make this personal again , and now in this thread, try PMing me some of your hate if it will make you feel better. I honestly don't care that you don't care. If you dislike this thread so much, or if you don't like what I have to post - DON'T READ IT (yet you hang on to my every word). It's pretty simple, unless your role is to troll, while waiting for a moderator to delete your posts. When I state how much time it takes me to do a job (without breaking anything, done correctly and to code) only the slow haters will see it as bragging. When I read those same words from someone else, I look at it as something to shoot for. Guess it's a matter of perspective and attitude. You've got a bad attitude and a lot of hate.

I didn't need a YouTube video to learn how to cut a bolt with a sawzall either...
    Maybe you should leave a comment by this video on how to brush your teeth, and the other infinite number of videos out there that you don't need as well? This task will keep someone like you busy all day everyday. I'm assuming you still have your teeth.

dlarrivee, might I suggest a new avatar for you? This one suits you better than your current one:
    Name:  grumpygrandpa copy.jpg
Views: 5348
Size:  43.0 KB
    Last edited by augusta; 04-10-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Both videos are good. I've been thinking we need more video on the site anyway.
    And yes, of course a lot of us know how to do things, but the video is to share what we do and for those that haven't considered certain methods, it's helpful for that.
    Now I need to get back and "Brush my teeth" again.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-10-2011 at 10:04 AM.

With the right blade it works every time. I see through you! You claim to be a DIY but your stating that you can do plumbing jobs.

I'm talking swapping toilets, toilet repairs, swapping sinks, faucets, dishwashers, garbage disposals...and now...swapping hot water heaters.
    I hope your insured like us licensed plumbers, because your gonna get yourself in some trouble when you wreck someones house and get sued out your ass!