Florescent Light does not start when Humidly is high

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello All,

I would like to Thank Terry Love for the cool Forums on this web site. (Send Him Money)

I have a Florescent fixture in my kitchen that will not light up when the Humidity is high, a Big problem in the Houston area where it is mostly Humid.

It is a Two Tube 40 watt each (80 watt), 48 inch, auto start (Or Auto don't Start like this one).

Does any one have a engineering fix for this problem ?

The fixture is not that old and I would like to make it work, when I need to use it.

Thanks for any input that you may have.

Have a Great day.

DonL

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How old are the bulbs? Have you tried turning the bulb in its socket to ensure the connection is good and not corroded?

DonL

Reaction score
Hello jadnashaua,

I replaced the bulbs twice with different Brands, just to make sure and same thing. They make a Good connection
because the filaments in the ends of the tubes Glow, Just no Go.

Thank You for the reply.

DonL

DonL

Reaction score
Yes jimbo , I agree that maybe the ballast has low output voltage. The fixture is not that old.

When it does not work I look at the Humidity level and sure enough it is above 50%.

When the Humidity is less than 50% it works just fine.

I have seen Temperature cause problems, but this is new to me.

DonL.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've seen the humidity thing. Its probably a cheap/bad magnetic ballast that can't put out enough voltage to establish an arc except under ideal conditions. Brand new fixtures can exhibit this problem. Also, make sure the fixture is grounded. Fluorescent lights need the ground because the metal light fixture is actually part of what helps establish the arc in the bulb.

I'd recommend a new electronic ballast, however there is a trick to making a weak ballast work; Tape a thin strip of foil along length of the back side of the bulbs. Do not allow the foil to touch the ends of the bulb. The foil and the glass tube form a capacitor to help establish the arc.

-rick

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Thank You drick,

That is something similar that I thought might work, but have not tried it.

The Fixture is grounded, Made sure to connect the ground when I installed it.

I was going to put a wad of aluminum foil between the fixture and the tubes, but the strip sounds like a better Idea.

Thank You Much

Have a Good Day.

DonL

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Cheap imported fixtures have a reputation for earyly ballast failure, because they chines don't do electrical things very well

DonL

Reaction score
I agree on cheap import stuff. The price was not that cheap.

It is hard to get good stuff in these parts now a days.

DonL.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Hello Drick and the group,

Today it was very Humid here in Houston, so I decided to try the Rick Foil Trick.
and it worked !!!

The tubes take about 4 seconds to light up, but that beats not working at all.

Thank You Rick, The Rick Trick worked. Nothing like Been there Done that...

Have a great day.

DonL

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
So that tops it. Lets buy Chinese disposable junk fixtures with ballasts made of garbage and fake UL labels and then glue foil on each bulb so it works. Got time for that?

And heaters that need new plugs, thermostats, elements and tip over switches right out of the box.

I think our electrical inspector dollars should be spent at the DOCK and not on homeowner bob that added an outlet in his garage.

The Germans would not let that trash off the boat - they redirect it to the idiots in America and the dollar stores.

http://www.americanfluorescent.com/afl_content.cgi?id_num=1

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Good afternoon ballvalve and the group,

The Lighting fixture has been working every day now, After applying the Presidential Solution.

For Your Information this fixture is made by Lithonia Lighting and is model 3200 Wrap Light (Crap Light, LOL), Made In Mexico.

Says it is made for (2) F40T12, F34T12 or F25T12 Bulbs, I am using the 40 Watt bulbs, Not sure if the others may work better.

I never leave on on unattended so it should not be a problem.

I bought it and it set in the box until the warranty ran out be before I installed it, Or I would have taken it back.

Have a great Day.

DonL.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Lithonia sold its soul in the consumer market years ago. Mexicans can be trained to make garbage by American thieves also.

DonL

Reaction score
Hello ballvalve,

I agree.

Mexicans are hard workers, and good people.

But I say let them do what they are good at, Growing weed and other garden crops. (I love watermellon from there, 50 cents if you speak spanish)

Let the U.S. make electronics and cars, So that we can screw them up in our own country...

Calitrano

Reaction score
You guys are great!!! Up here in Buffalo, New York its mid July and it gets pretty humid... i have two 40 watt fluorescent fixtures that came with the house... neither one is working , so i ripped a piece of aluminum foil stuck it behind the bulbs between the fixture and the bulb itself and wham! works like a charm...
just afraid of any fire danger? Its all safe right???

DonL

Reaction score
Welcome To Terry's Forums calitrano,

Its all safe right??? That depends on who you ask.

In my case I am here in the kitchen where my cheap fixture is located.
I do not leave it on unattended.

Who really knows if the fixtures were safe before the mod.

They are UL listed but that means nothing, UL tested or approved may be better, not so sure, now a days.

As long as your foil is not to close to the ends of the tube then you should be fine.

Have a good day.

DonL

Larryboy

Reaction score
There is a way around this problem....spray silicone (for tents, waterproofing) on the neon's connectors and on the lamp connectors and let dry; silicone repells water and humidity is water.

Robert Ashley Sr

Reaction score
I have several fluorescent bulbs in my home. When they fail to to start, all I need to do is take the bulb out and wash it with a damp rag, dry it, and put it back in. That usually solves the problem for a year. The bulbs in the kitchen usually have a scum on them. The others have a lot of dust on them.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
T12's are discontinued and for new fixtures T12's cannot meet the new energy standards. The next issue, dump the T12, change the ballast to use LED T8's or some LED tubes are self ballasted therefore you remove the ballast. It could be easier to replace the entire fixture with an LED one.

Catpower

Reaction score
I've seen the humidity thing. Its probably a cheap/bad magnetic ballast that can't put out enough voltage to establish an arc except under ideal conditions. Brand new fixtures can exhibit this problem. Also, make sure the fixture is grounded. Fluorescent lights need the ground because the metal light fixture is actually part of what helps establish the arc in the bulb.

I'd recommend a new electronic ballast, however there is a trick to making a weak ballast work; Tape a thin strip of foil along length of the back side of the bulbs. Do not allow the foil to touch the ends of the bulb. The foil and the glass tube form a capacitor to help establish the arc.

-rick

WOW!! this quick fix worked instantly like a total charm!!! I hadn't even finished taping the foil to the bulb. I had this same problem a few years ago in the kitchen in another old house and I wish I'd known this then - would have saved hours of aggravation and yanking repeatedly on the pull chain. Thank you so much!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks