Submersible Pump Size

Users who are viewing this thread

lray882

Reaction score
Would someone give me an idea of what size submersible pump and pressure tank I need. Also, pipe size in well and to the pressure tank.

The well is 200' deep. The house will be 50' away. I plan to install the pressure tank in the garage. The house will have three bathrooms and one will be on the second floor.

Thanks in advance.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
People in different parts of the country would do this differently. Maybe we can get several different ways listed here. Here is one way I would do this in my area.

1) 10 GPM pump with check valve
1) 1 HP 230V, three wire motor
1) 1 HP control box
1) 4 X 30 shroud (if applicable)
1) 1” Well seal or pitless adapter
260’) 12-4 jacketed wire
260’) 1” 160# poly pipe
4)1” Long brass barb fittings
8)Clamps
1)Pside Kick control package (like the pic to the left)
(includes the CSV, 4.4 gallon tank, and accessories)

Would also need a couple rolls of good electric tape, to tape wires to the pipe every 20’. A 4 wire slice kit. Maybe a 1 ¼” X 1” brass busing at the pump.

Installing by hand I would use poly pipe. If I were to use a pump pulling truck, I would prefer sch 80 PVC with brass or galv couplings.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Don't forget the cable guides so that the wire doesn't chafe.

cable-guide-closed.jpg

lray882

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments. I forgot to tell the well water level is 50' from ground surface and the ground is level from well to proposed house. I have never used the CSV system. I do not know how available it is here in Middle Tennessee. Looks like a good idea. I was hoping to not have to have a control box. I will install the pump by hand. So looks like poly. I guess it is best if it is in one piece. I need to get the pump installed for the contractor so water will be available for construction once, the temp electric line is set. Does anyone have brands that they favor?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I suggested a 10 GPM, 1 HP so you could turn the pressure switch up to 50/70, and use a CSV set at 60 PSI. This is the pressure I like for 2 stories. No problem using a 2 wire motor without a control. I just like 3 wire for the capacitor start, but a lot of people use 2 wire. Call me if you have a problem finding a CSV or Pside Kick. Lancaster, AY McDonald, and Flint & Walling are three good brands. Or if you want to give your money to the big guys, try Goulds, Grundfos, Pentair. Franklin makes a good motor, but I am hearing of problems with their redesigned Jacuzzi pumps. Lot of good copies of the Grundfos out there under other names. Pentair sells under about 10 different names, but same pump. Goulds has the GS, LS, Bruiser, and several grades of their pump.

And I never use cable guards or torque arrestors because wire won’t chafe unless the pump cycles excessively, and a CSV won’t let that happen. In my opinion cable guards and torque arrestors are just something else to help get the pump stuck in the well. I never put anything down there that is not absolutely necessary.

lray882

Reaction score
Valveman, what is the "1) 4 X 30 shroud (if applicable)" you are referring to?

Thanks

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
valveman,

you said something about the franklin pumps having problems? i've used alot of jclass hurricanes, hope i dont regret it.. what kinda problems?

lray882

Reaction score
Is it better to get a CSV that is adjustable? Looks like the pside kick package have one that does not. Should the poly pipe be one piece. Looks like Lowes store sales them in 100' rolls. I guess the plastic barb fittins are a no no? I am asking because I do not want to have to remove this pump for doing sometime stupid. One more question, how hard is it to drill a hole in the metal casing for a pitless adapter? As you can tell I am a DIYer.
Thanks for your help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can order the Pside-Kick with the CSV1Z valve. That would be better for turning it up to use with a 50/70 switch. I would only use the extra long metal barb fittings. And installing a pitless in steel casing is tough, but it can be done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks