Thread type on drain of older water heater???

Users who are viewing this thread

rodney_kranz

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the thread is on 1992 vintage gas water heater drain spigot? I think I may have sediment in the tank and want to drain it with a garden hose, but the thread does not match the hose. I want to buy an adapter and have bought few guessing and have always guessed wrong and have not been able to find a match.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It should be one designed for a hose. If not, it may have already been changed once to a non-standard one. At nearing 10-years old, you are on borrowed time on a WH. It could last another 10-years, or fail tomorrow - average seems to be around 8-years. I wouldn't spend too much messing with it and budget for a new one soon.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Or, if the water heater is not in a finished area which would be damaged when the tank starts leaking, run it until it fails. Both mine and my father's water heaters are about 25 years old and still work fine.

As to the problem with your drain, I would just replace the drain valve on the tank with one that does fit a hose.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The valve originally had a hose thread, (ALL heater drain valves have hose threads and always have had them). If it were changed, then it might be a 3/4" pipe thread, but you hose would still attach to it. I am not sure what you think you have, but a picture might help us.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
JDNashua pointed out, a 10 year old water heater is on borrowed time, but his math was a tad off. A 1992 water heat is nearly 20 years old. Your best move is to set aside some money for a new heater. There is surely so much sediment in your old tank you will never be able to flush it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks