Broken Cast Iron Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Armadillo

Reaction score
O.K. so this is another broken cast iron flange question. I have battling fathers on this one. My dad says.."Just call the plumber and have him put another cast iron flange. Better do it right." My father-in-law says..."Try this thing. It'll work just as well, and save you a bunch of money."

This is the thing...
http://www.siouxchief.com/PDF/887-pushTite-spec-sheet-7-04.pdf

So I guess I'd like to try the Push-Tite as it will be much cheaper, and seems easy enough for me to do. I'm pretty handy, but I'm not going to muck around with molten lead and yokum and all that mess.

There are two catches.

1) The water leaked under the sheet vinyl a bit and discolored the white portions, and it doesn't seem to be improving with drying over the last 2 days. I would like to replace the flooring (from sheet vinyl to tile) one day. Unfortunately, the toilet didn't cooperate by leaking when I had the funds to do so. Will I need to mess around with re-adjusting the height of the flange when I do replace the flooring? If so, it seems like the Push-Tite would be easier since I could just remove the screws, pull it out..put in the subflooring/tile/etc., and put it back in flush with the new height. Is that too easy, or am I on to something here? OR...is there a way to get rid of the sheet vinyl discoloration?

2) The hole in the subfloor is a bit bigger in diameter than the holes to secure the Push-Tite. So either I need to put the screws in at an angle, or I need to replace a section of the subfloor so I can make the hole smaller (probably not a bad idea since it got a bit wet with the leaking toilet.)

So that's a few questions in one post...I'd really appreciate help with all of them.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you are going to try and fix it yourself, I would first consider the following in place of the one you posted. I personally feel it is a much better product. However, either will require your wire brushing the inside of the pipe very clean. In fact it is best to use a wire brush on a drill. You will also want to be sure it will not raise the top of the flange too high.

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/showskus.asp?ctg=11&subctg=3&prodgrpid=363

Terry has recommended the cast iron version, but you will probably find it hard to locate. The PVC ones have worked fine for me.

Paul

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
flange

If you rely on screws put in on an angle, I don't think you will have a good installation. It's like a cobble job.
Don't like set screws either.
It may be cheaper now, but it might cost you more later........

Your dad is still right........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks