Washer and sink drain questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have two code questions.

The first one concerns the drain line from a clothes washer.

The washer drain will connect to a horizontal drain that will also carry waste from the lavatory and tub. This horizontal drain will then connect via a combo wye to the main 3" horizontal drain that goes to the vertical drain that goes out to the septic tank. I'm unsure of the terminology, but I would think that the horizontal drain that the washer, lav, and tub feed into would be considered a horizontal branch drain. If this is true, then do I need to use 3" pipe for that horizontal drain per N.C. code 406.3

The waste from an automatic clothes washer shall connect to a vertical branch drain of not less than 2†in diameter, or a horizontal branch drain of not less than 3†in diameter.

The inspector looked at my plan and actually told me to use 2" for that drain, but it seems that his advise is not in sync with the code. The problem is the inspectors rotate jobs, and I'm not assured that the inspector who told me this will be the one who actually does the inspecting.

Second question.

I have a double sink in my kitchen. Is there anything in the code that says which type of continuous waste outlet I can use? I cannot find any reference to it, but again, I may not know the correct terminology.

The inspector drew one that had an end outlet like this one:
plastic-direct-connect-end-outlet-continuous-waste-125a-16wk.jpg

But I prefer to use the one with the center outlet like this one:
plastic-center-outlet-continuous-waste-slip-joint-or-direct-connect-222ttwk.jpg

It's a spacing issue, but I could make either work. Both have a baffle tee, so I can't see why it would matter. Please advise.

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can always plumb better, but not worse.
Go ahead with the 3" horizontal on the washer waste line.

Most plumbers prefer the end outlet for the kitchen sink.
I'm not a big fan of the center connector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks