Internet Home automation PLC controllers etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

David_Griffin

Reaction score
Hi

Do you use any Home automation systems / PLC controllers? Could you tell me something about prices, functionality, what functions of your house are automated? What do you use them for?

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you are looking at buying is PLC controller (and a pricey one at that) which could be a device on a home automation system, although you will probably discover most will not support it (but since it has its own UI you might not care). I've looked at using a PLC to replace my irrigation controllers as I have unusual requirements not met by conventional timers, but its hard to justify the cost. If all you want to do is control an irrigation system there are much better options that will integrate with home automation controllers. You do not need a PLC that supports RSA (Rivest, Shamir, and Adleman) 256 and execute the lesser SHA (Secure Hash Algorithm) 256 hash function both of which are overkill for anything you are doing. If you are thinking you might need to build something because you have to deal with pump switching and well recovery times and you are comfortable with programming you might want to look at the PLCs available from automationdirect.com.

Home automation controllers are mostly designed to handle lighting, small appliances, home entertainment, security, and the like. Lutron, Elk, and HAI all have decent controllers. Most can communicate with switches, thermostats, infrared devices, and devices that have Ethernet TCP/IP. Most support a subset of the following home automation protocols; X-10, Radio-RA, Z-Wave, UPB, and Insteon. They also do have modules for irrigation, but they generally expect a fairly vanilla setup. No one setup is right for everyone.

-rick

David_Griffin

Reaction score
You do not need a PLC that supports RSA (Rivest, Shamir, and Adleman) 256 and execute the lesser SHA (Secure Hash Algorithm) 256 hash function both of which are overkill for anything you are doing. If you are thinking you might need to build something because you have to deal with pump switching

It is not overkill in my opinion because one output of this PLC would be used for power door actuator - I mean I would not need to open my doors by keys but by my phone. The other output of this internet controlled PLC could be connected to the garage door. Both require elevated level of security. The third can be used to arm/disarm burglary alarm. There are still some outputs left for garden irrigation, heating etc. I would like to have all functionality with me in my pocket so the cell phone is the best solution.
Imagine that one day all unprotected X10 and Modbus protocols will be hacked, exploited by your neighbor and you will get crazy after his jokes. He will open close your garage and you will complain ...

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Do you plan to use any temperature or flowmeters on this project and if so what? Does the PLC you want to use support SNMP graphing with MRTG/PRTG/Cacti?

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
>>Imagine that one day all unprotected X10 and Modbus protocols will be hacked, exploited by your neighbor and you will get crazy after his jokes.

There is no need to hack a protocol that has no security. I've been able to turn on/off my neighbor's X-10 lights since the 1980s. Insteon is more secure because of the large address space, but its still not encrypted.

Basic rule of security - keep all your walls at about the same height. It does no good to build a 25 foot stone wall on one side of the house, only to have a chicken wire fence on the other side. If I want to get into your house I'm just going to break the window.

-rick

David_Griffin

Reaction score
Do you plan to use any temperature or flowmeters on this project and if so what? Does the PLC you want to use support SNMP graphing with MRTG/PRTG/Cacti?

Yes I plan to add temperature sensors and some other sensors but we are talking now about E_B_A_Y_ item --> 270698406239 . This is "Programmable Logic Controller" and it does NOT support any measurements. It is the device for turning on and off and testing voltages on its inputs. I focused on it because it is secure with full internet access. This PLC is for motors, actuators, electromagnetic valves, light...
When I find something suitable for temperatures I will inform you :)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Oh Boy! You are going to put the security of your home and family, and the safety of your assets, and the conveniences of your daily life....in the hands of some piece of crap you found on the famous BAY.....home of stolen goods, defective merchandise, and con artists!

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks