(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Stray current?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    DIY Junior Member das108's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    23

    Default Stray current?

    Hi all:
    Hoping you can help put me on the right track here, but I know the solution does is unlikely to be DIY here. (You just helped me solve a simple upside down Moen cartridge)

    Lived in this condo for about 4 years. Noticed about a week ago that if i touched by stainless steel kitchen sink and the stainless steel front of my dishwasher at the same time I was getting a shock. Can't say I remember it happening before, and I am fairly sure at some time in 4 years I would have touched those 2 things at the same time. To be on the safe side, shut off the breaker for the dishwasher till I got it dealt with.

    But just now, screwing on a new shower head, I am fairly certain i got a mild shock from THAT.
    Again, have done some light plumbing in this place before and don't remember this happening.

    The pipes are copper through the building, much of it treated with epoxy Ace Duroflow because of a pinhole problem. Building is circa 1968.

    My instinct is that this is a building problem, and someone has changed something or such.

    Anyone else have thoughts on if this is likely in my unit, vs a a greater problem that the building should be looking into?

    Thanks a ton.
    David

  2. #2
    Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    This could be due to multiple reasons. I would recommend that you have someone look at your unit to establish if it is your unit or something that the association should address.

  3. #3
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    21,374

    Default

    Could be something like someone put up a picture, sank a nail, and hit something they shouldn't have. Could get nasty finding it. This is one reason why in most places, a homeowner of a multi-family dwelling isn't allowed to do stuff that he could if it was a single family dwelling...there's too many other people that could be affected.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  4. #4
    DIY Junior Member das108's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Unfortunately that's pretty much what I expected....it could be anything, anywhere, and will likely be a fiasco to figure out.... thanks for the wisdom...

  5. #5
    DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by das108 View Post
    To be on the safe side, shut off the breaker for the dishwasher till I got it dealt with.
    If all is working as it should, the metal of the door is connected to the protection ground. Turning off the breaker would not change that. If the shocks ceased by turning off the breaker it might suggest a fault with the wiring or dishwasher.

    Quote Originally Posted by das108 View Post
    But just now, screwing on a new shower head, I am fairly certain i got a mild shock from THAT.
    It would be interesting to know what other conductive material you were in contact with at the time to help understand what two points held a voltage potential.

    Years ago, a friend's starter blew on his car which was parked under high tension power lines. I was helping him to change the starter. He was laying on the ground under the car, complaining about getting shocks, and insisting that I had not disconnected the battery. The battery was disconnected and the shocks were coming from the voltage induced by the overhead powerlines. The rubber tires were insulators and he was completing the circuit to earth ground with his body.

  6. #6
    DIY Junior Member das108's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Well with the showerhead, I was standing in my fiber-glass tub and had both hands on the showerhead/pipe. There may have been a little residual water around my feet and its not impossible i put a toe on the drain, although it seems unlikely based on the angles of things.

  7. #7
    DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,675

    Default

    Was it a single hit like a static discharge, or a lasting tingle? Did the shocks at the dishwasher cease? The voltage potential source could be outside your apartment and the potential difference could be intermittent making it very difficult to track down. It helps of course if the tests are repeatable.

    I have seen where the neutral to a building was open and the copper plumbing was providing the return. There was enough current carried by the pipe that it warmed the water a bit. The current/voltage potential difference was enough to blow circuit boards.

  8. #8
    General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    northfork, california
    Posts
    3,258

    Default

    Next time you drive under large transmission towers push the button your voltage sensor - lights up like a xmas tree!

    Have to wonder what it does to pacemakers.

    And for the guy with the hot plumbing - your next shower might be like the ones the germans gave in 1939 through 1945.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 04-04-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. current sensor for well pump
    By Thatguy in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 09:12 AM
  2. Current draw on 3/4 HP pump?
    By ncgeo in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 05:30 PM
  3. Current on Phone Line?
    By Ramjet in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 01:18 PM
  4. Stray Cats!!!
    By Pewterpower in forum Lawn Care/Landscaping
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 01:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •