sub panel to garage

Users who are viewing this thread

pbprice

Reaction score
I want to run a sub panel to my garage i have enough thhn 8ga wire to do this i already have 1.25 conduit buried and ready my question is can i just put a 50 amp breaker in the house panel and run 4 wires to the sub panel and seperate the neutral and ground in that panel along with driving two ground rods at least 6 feet apart in the ground as this is a detached garage i assume 50amps will be plenty to run lights a few plug ins a built in charger on my bass boat and maybe some day a small compressor. Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated My only real concern is will 50 amps be enough i dont weld so I was told would be plenty the garage is about 25-30 feet from house panel a 200amp new service. thanks again

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My garage has a single 20 amp circuit with no subpanel, and I have no problem charging batteries and running a small air compressor.

IMO, a subpanel is nice for the "what if" of the future, but overkill for the average homeowner.

You would need to do the math on your loads to see what capacity you really need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks