Shallow Well Pump in a sump pit (proper installation placement)

Users who are viewing this thread

dbolong

Reaction score
My house sits on an large volume of water that seems never ending. My sump pit is always full no matter the season. That said, I'm installing a shallow well pump into my pit that will feed a single spigot for irrigation (a sprinkler or two and garden watering.)

My question is:

I want to install the pump next to my sump pit. This would make the intake go approx 5-7 feet deep. With the discharge climbing vertical 10 feet to reach the spigot.

I'm not sure if I'm reading the manual correctly, but it seems to suggest that the discharge not run vertical above a distance of a couple feet.

So that being said... Am I better off installing the pump at spigot level and dropping the intake 15-16 total feet instead.

My pump is a 1 hp all in one shallow well pump with a bladder tank attached (Northern Industrial Shallow Well Pump — 1 HP, Model# JGP12001CHT.)

Below is the link to the actual pump in question.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200352050_200352050&issearch=109231

Thanks very much. I look forward to your responses.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The discharge should be able to run all the way up a mountain, if the pump will build enough pressure. It is always better to have the pump as close to the water source as possible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks