sludge/build up in drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

Sbslider

Reaction score
Folks here recently helped me to resolve a p-trap problem. The next phase is this. I have cut out the old cast iron p-trap and will be installing a new abs one. But before I do, I would like to clean out the drain line. It is partially blocked with junk that does not scrape out very easily. I would appreciate recommendations on how to remove this build up.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
Hire a plumber, and have him run the snake down with a cutter.
The shop that I work for is $135 for residential and $100 for commercial.
If you look you can find cheaper persons. But by the time you rent the equipment figure out how to run it and all it's not worth the effort of trying to do it yourself.

I know that there are co-workers posting on CraigsList for $50 a pop to do side jobs.....
Michael

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about the shower run specifically. By now, your entire drainage systems probably looks like that! That old cast iron pipe becomes very rough due to pitting, rusting, and crud build up over the years, and there really isn't too much you can do about it besides a repipe. You can run a large cutter down the line, which may break up some of the crud, but getting large cutter heads to navigate most of the bends in a piping system is not going to happen. I guess since you have the shower trap removed, it couldn't hurt to give it a try, but I have no idea what the inside of your piping looks like.

Sbslider

Reaction score
Decided to go ahead and rent a snake for $30, and did a decent job of cleaning out that run. It was much shorter than I thought it would be, so I used the extra time to do some preventative maintenance on some other drain lines as well. All in all it was time and money well spent.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks