What's the max size of drain/vent pipe that I can I can put thru a 2x4 stud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick.a

Reaction score
I will shortly be re-doing all of the plumbing in a small bathroom and adjacent kitchen. In order to vent properly I will need to run ABS thru several studs, then through the exterior wall top plate. What is the max size pipe that I can run through these framing members.

I am in MA, which uses a modified UPC code.

thanks,
Rick.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
If these are studs in a NON-LOAD BEARING WALL, then you can bore up to a 2&1/8" hole in the center of the stud. If this is a load bearing wall, then you are "technically" SOL.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Correct. Might also be worth mentioning that this is not a plumbing code issue, but is rather covered under building codes.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
Notching & Boring:
Board Holes: A hole not greater than 40% of the stud width may be bored in any wood stud.

Bored holes not greater than 60% are permitted in non-bearing walls and partitions.

Bored holes not greater than 60% are permitted in bearing walls provided that each bored stud is doubled and no more than two double studs are bored. In no case shall the edge of the bored hole be closer than 5/8” to the edge.

Bored Holes
Bearing Walls Non-Bearing Walls & Partitions
40% for 2 X 4 = 1-3/8” 60% for 2 X 4 = 2-1/8”
40% for 2 X 6 = 2- 3/16” 60% for 2 X 6 = 3- 5/16”

Notches
Bearing Walls Non-Bearing Walls & Partitions
25% for 2 X 4 = 7/8” 40% for 2 X 4 = 1- 3/8”
25% for 2 X 6 = 1- 3/8” 40% for 2 X 6 = 3- 5/16”

Rick.a

Reaction score
A kitchen sink under a window is quite common, and if I cannot bore a 1 1/2 inch hole (more than 40% of a 2x4 in a load bearing wall), then how do you commonly do it? I need to get through a single and a double stud under the window in order to get to the cavity that runs up to the top plate and in to the attic. What do you guys do?

Rick.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You should ask your building inspector. It seems that a lot of the time the rule is not adhered to and is overlooked.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
What I do is double the stud on the side of the window where I am running my drain pipe.

What I have noticed on a number of large homes with large picture windows over the kitchen sink is that they are running the pipe on the outside of the wall and inside the cabinets. To avoid the issue.
Michael

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; with large picture windows over the kitchen sink is that they are running the pipe on the outside of the wall and inside the cabinets.

In that case, or like one I did which had 6x6 posts on either side of the window, I installed it as if it were an island.

island_vent.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick.a

Reaction score
OK, thanks for all the replies. I think that I can run the vent inside the cabinet far enough to get into the open wall channel, without having to create the bow vent.

rick.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks