Proper disposal of empty propane bottles

Users who are viewing this thread

BobS0327

Reaction score
I have several empty propane bottles (the type that is used for soldering copper water lines) and I don't know how to properly (safely) dispose of these bottles.

Thus, how can I properly dispose of these bottles? I don't think I should just throw them in the trash for fear that there may still be some propane in the tanks which could cause an explosion and possible injure someone such as the trash collector.

TIA

Bob

Rexles

Reaction score
I shoot mine full of holes on the target range first before putting in the recycle bin.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are worried about them not being empty, put the torch head back on and leave the valve open for ample time to make sure.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Hmm, I could have sworn that the bottles say not to dispose of empties with household refuse. We have designated recycling centers where they accept hazardous waste such as these. You can always phone your municipality and ask, or wait to talk to the guys directly on collection day.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
With refrigerant containers, I drill a few holes in them and throw them in the trash for the scrap metal guys. I'd be a little more leery of drilling the propane containers, but if they were open for a few days..........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks