How to remove Grohe Sinfonia Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Atulc

Reaction score
I need to replace the cartridge in my Grohe 20.655 Sinfonia two-handle lavatory wideset. This requires removal of the cross handle 1 and cap 5 (see the diagram and parts list). It is straight forward to remove the cross handle. But I can't figure out how to remove the cap.

Grohe tech support recommended a strap wrench. I've tried, but the strap wrench keeps slipping because of the bell shape of the cap. As a last resort, I'd have to loosen the nut under the sink. But it is very crowded under the sink and I want to avoid this route. Any suggestions on how to unscrew the cap? Thanks.

Sinfonia.gifParts.jpg

Atulc

Reaction score
HJ - thanks, I'll try out the electrical tape and channel lock pliers.

Sorry, I didn't mean to remove the faucet but just the handle and cap. Thanks for correcting that.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Man I hate Grohe, heh. That escutcheon should unscrew. Hj's method will certainly give you a good grip, but you have to careful with how much squeezing force you apply. Another way to go is to wear gloves with a special rubber grip coating applied to the underside...that will allow your fingers to get a good grip if you can't get a rubber strap wrench on there.

Atulc

Reaction score
Finally got the cap off by wrapping it in plenty of electrical tape and using channel lock pliers. I can see now why it was so hard to unscrew - the cartridge and the inside of the cap are heavily corroded. Now to the next challenge - despite removing the cap, I can't get the cartridge out. It's frozen inside the housing due to corrosion. Time to call Grohe for more warranty parts.

Basement_lurker - agree with your sentiment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks