Moen Posi-Temp....almost but not quite

Users who are viewing this thread

das108

Reaction score
Hi all.

see picture attached of the installation of the cartridge. From other pictures I've seen here that is right.

My problem is fitting together the key stop/limit stop/handle adapter properly.

basically, just using the handle adapter it starts at 6 o'clock being off, going clockwise starts cold and moves to warm hot, stops when you get back to 6 o'clock

However, using any combination of they key stop/temperature stop, the handle adapter, no matter where I orient things, will not do a proper rotation starting at off, rotating clockwise through cold to hot. It gets caught on the top notch of the stop tube key stop...its as if I am missing a piece that holds the keystop far enough out or something?

thanks so much.

IMG-20110330-00041.jpg

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cartridge is upside down, see the bottom H and C should be on top.

moen1222.jpg

Moen replacement 1222 for the Posi-Temp Shower Valve

moen-notch-down.jpg

moen-tub-shower-terrylove-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That only reverses the hot/cold orientation and would be proper for a valve with reversed piping. The clockwise operation is puzzling, since it should go from off to cold to hot with a counter clockwise rotation.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That only reverses the hot/cold orientation and would be proper for a valve with reversed piping. The clockwise operation is puzzling, since it should go from off to cold to hot with a counter clockwise rotation.

And that is because the pipes aren't reversed but the cartridge is...

moen-posi-temp-on-pipe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

das108

Reaction score
I'm 90% sure the piping is right on this setup.

So to fix this, I pop out the safety pin/wire, remove the cartridge and re-insert rotated?

I've heard some stories that these are very hard to remove without breaking/leaving something behind...any tips? (The Moen instructions are...not helpful...to say the least).

Also, will this fix the issue with not seeming to be able to rotate enough without catching when all the pieces are in? or is that something separate.
Thanks
Davod

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Probably will fix that. All newer valves have not only anti-scald functions, but also a max temperature limit arrangement which could be levers, stops, or whatever to limit rotation past some predetermined point. These are supposed to be adjusted when installed, and may need to be readjusted summer/winter if the incoming water temps vary (well, few, if any acutally do this, but you should!). Some of it depends on how hot you actually set your WH thermostat, but the difference in summer/winter cold water temps make setting the max outlet temp vary, so the adjustment needs to change (unless you buy the more expensive thermostatically controlled valve).

das108

Reaction score
Yup. Was indeed that simple. Hardest part was getting the pin out because of the angle and size of the hole in the tile. Rotated it, put it back in, put everything back together, it all aligns properly and goes in the direction one would expect. Only casualty is a misplaced set screw for the faucet itself, which I imagine won't be too hard to get the right replacement for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks