Sleeving PVC for concrete pour?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
When one pours a slab over a rough-in, what is commonly used to sleeve the drain and vent pipes where they are coming up though the slab?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Coming up through the slab doesn't require a sleeve but going through a footing does.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some places will require a sleeve on the pipes in the flat work. They didn't in the past.
I've seen cardboard, bubble wrap, closed cell foam, whatever works.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Plastic drainage systems require provisions for contraction/expansion...if you cement your stacks in place you've partially interfered with that.

There is a proper product for sleeving a pipe through a slab/footing, but for your purposes, it's easier to wrap the stub several times over in sill plate foam gasketing.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I used some sill gasket material and tape around my w/c drain, to make sure the socket on the closet flange had enough room to bottom out.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
On big jobs i buy the half roll roofing paper, otherwise I just use the cardboard wrapper from the rolls of soft copper. The cardboard works ok but the roofing paper looks more proffessional and is easier to wrap.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Very glad you asked this question. I very rarely do new construction plumbing but have a complete job to do this week. In the past I've had lots of problems getting toilet flanges to sit down flush and level because the concrete pours against the pipe and when possible I'll use a flange which will slip inside the pipe or fitting. Most of the time the concrete guys do not get the concrete flat around the stub out. It's not unusual for me to have to use a hammer drill to take out the concrete around the pipe to get the flange to install properly. Sure as heck makes a log of seemingly unnecessary work.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I haven't been asked to sleeve around the water closets. I like to stub up with 4", that way they can pour concrete around the pipe and I can still glue in a closet flange on the inside. I just cut the pipe flush before installing the closet flange.
I use a 4x3 closet bend below.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks