Removing American Standard Shower Cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

Buckeye95

Reaction score
All,

I have stripped out old shower out an am planning on keeping the controls (but replacing the cartridge). I contacted the manufacturer (American Standard) and was told they had no information on how to remove these :confused:

Do these just pull straight out? Once I do, can they be reinserted temporarily while the new one is being shipped to me?

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,

Pete

Attachments

• Picture 229.jpg
    Picture 229.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 6,747

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personal opinion (and a code issue, too) is that I'd replace the valve with one that will meet the current code requirements, which is to provide anti-scald features. WHen you do a major upgrade like you are doing, most places require it to be brought up to current codes - this means the use of an antiscald shower control. this will also ensure you can find new trim in your desired finish.

Normally, once you've removed the clip or screws, it pulls out, but I can't tell you for sure.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I think this one has screws fixing the cartridge to the valve body...but I am not sure...I rarely install AS products besides their lav sinks. You'll know for sure once the replacement cartridge arrives. Best bet is not to attempt to remove the current cartridge until the replacement arrives anyways; you don't want to create a big mess for yourself since you don't have integral stops.

Buckeye95

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have kind of a catch-22 with this. The AS rep told me they could not tell what type it was until it was fully pulled out, and that;s before the time to ship it. Might be a problem if it does not go back in correctly and leaks. I may just look into upgrading it to an anti-scald unit as suggested (as noted it may be code anyway) to avoid this issue as well as the potential for problems finding matching trim. Thanks Again !!

Pete

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks