Bathroom remodel (sheetrock wall question)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
We are now in the process of remodeling our bathroom and tearing down the old tile that was on the wall. Some of it is tearing some of the paper off of the sheetrock. Do I need to worry about that or not? We are going to just smooth out the old texture and put a slight orange peel over it. I have seen a sheetrock repair product that is supposed to fix paper tears on sheetrock. What is your opinion and advice? Thanks.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I wouldn't pick up anything special for fixing this, whatever drywall compound you use to finish the seams should take care of this too...

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would be surprised if you could tear a properly done tile job off drywall without causing a lot of damage to the wallboard.

More often than not it's best to gut the drywall and start fresh. This would be the ideal time to check the insulation in exterior walls and make any desired changes to lights, switches, receptacles, plumbing, etc.

But if you are otherwise happy and it the tiles are coming off the walls that easy, dlarrivee is correct.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I must have only skimmed the original post, if you're tearing off tiles from the wall I would just demo the whole thing and start fresh...

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ja, sometimes it's easier to just remove the drywall and re-rock. If the damage is not too bad and/or you don't want to disturb crown moulding, etc. you can just skim coat plaster over the damage.

BenWara

Reaction score
depending on the size of the bathroom I would just re sheet rock like other suggested. There could be water leaking behind the wall for all you know causing mold. When I bought sheet rock for my garage it was less than $10 a sheet. It would be best to buy drywall intended for a bathroom (usually a different color). Also keep in mind they sell joint compound intended for use in high moisture environments that will resist bacteria.

I suggest you make a trip to your local home store they can show you products to put up that will be better to use.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I took down all the walls and am going to use new blue rock. I have run into a little craziness that can be solved but want some opinions. One of the things was some electrical wiring had been spliced behind the wall with only tape and no box. Got that fixed so no problem anymore. The other problem is the air vent that runs up to the attic is causing a little problem. I always wondered why my sheet rock always seemed to have a little bulge behind my toilet (that is where the vent is). Well, the vent actually sticks out almost a half inch past the 2x4 which they used for walls there. They had bent the sheet rock somehow and molded it against the pipe. What do you think would be the best way to go about with the new sheet rock? Just curious what others would do. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can't move the vent, you could consider making the room smaller by shimming that wall out enough to cover the pipe. Depends on what else is on that wall.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
Okay, let me see if I can explain why this my not work to do that. The tub is about18" away from the toilet. The guy that built the bathroom made it exactly 60" wide and 12' long. The tub I have is 60" long. 59 1/2" of wall won't work. Ideas?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The tub goes in "stud to stud" and that didn't change. Furring out the wall will not affect the tub much, although it could make it just a little trickier to ever replace it.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I suppose that would be okay, so lets hope we don't have to replace it. Taking it out would be easy enough cause we would break it up like I did with my old one, but getting a new one in would be a little harder I think. I guess that is what I will do.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Put the tub in. Install the cbu around the tub. Install the tile. If the rest of the wall was shimmed out around 1/2", it would then be close to flush with the tile. So, rather than the tile being raised when following the wall, it would be flush. Now, if the cbu and tile plus thinset wasn't exactly the right thickness, put some shims behind the cbu. this also has the advantage that you may be able to run the cbu down over that tiling flange, rather than terminating it above it. You still want a gap between the horizontal surface of the tub and the cbu, but it only needs to be around 1/4" or so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks