Treated lumber used for framing and framing nails, dry wall screwsl and cement board?

Users who are viewing this thread

rogerlarry

Reaction score
I thought I was being smart and decided to use ACQ (treated) lumber for the new bathroom I built in my basement, which includes a steam shower. My thoughts were that I wanted to have as much mold and moisture resistance as possible. I framed the entire bathroom and shower stall using treated lumber. I used regular framing nails, dry wall screws and cement board screws. How much trouble can I expect? And by trouble I'm thinking will my fasteners corrode and will the treated lumber warp and shrink and mess everything up. I'm not too concerned about the health effects from having ACQ wood in the house.

The basement is dry.

Now that I've read up on treated lumber, I can't seem to thinking about anythiing else. I'm envisioning my shower walls falling apart and the drywall screws rusting and streaking down the walls.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
Don't worry about it at this point its too late to do anything about it.
Lots and lots of houses are built with a treated sole plate, and green sinkers to attach the framing. It will take an awful lot of corrosion before things start to fall apart.
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you used AKAT (kiln dried after treatment) wood, YES, you will have problems. The really wet stuff tends to warp and really make a mess of things as it dries out. The fasteners, may survive okay, but the warping may destroy the tile. Drywall screws are quite brittle and have no corrosion resistance. CBU screws would have had a much better chance of surviving.

A steam shower is an extreme test case for a shower - the steam pressure requires that you waterproof it really well. There are various approved methods to do this. It doesn't sound like you are using one of them. The bible on this is the TCNA (Tile Council North America) handbook, that is the basis of most code agencies on building anything with tile.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for help on tiling your steam shower.

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the soggy Northwest, it takes a couple of years for drywall screws used to fasten wood members, fully exposed to the weather, to
corrode to the point of failure. Framing nails I am sure will last longer. Even if you used the wet PT lumber, it will dry out in a few
months and presumably stay that way, at which point corrosion should be nil. If you havn't tiled yet, you should wait until the lumber
dries out, as there may well be warpage issues.

rogerlarry

Reaction score
Thanks for the help

I'm going to leave it as-is and hope that I don't have issues while I'm alive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks