(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Treated lumber used for framing and framing nails, dry wall screwsl and cement board?

Default Treated lumber used for framing and framing nails, dry wall screwsl and cement board?

I thought I was being smart and decided to use ACQ (treated) lumber for the new bathroom I built in my basement, which includes a steam shower. My thoughts were that I wanted to have as much mold and moisture resistance as possible. I framed the entire bathroom and shower stall using treated lumber. I used regular framing nails, dry wall screws and cement board screws. How much trouble can I expect? And by trouble I'm thinking will my fasteners corrode and will the treated lumber warp and shrink and mess everything up. I'm not too concerned about the health effects from having ACQ wood in the house.

The basement is dry.

Now that I've read up on treated lumber, I can't seem to thinking about anythiing else. I'm envisioning my shower walls falling apart and the drywall screws rusting and streaking down the walls.

Don't worry about it at this point its too late to do anything about it.
    Lots and lots of houses are built with a treated sole plate, and green sinkers to attach the framing. It will take an awful lot of corrosion before things start to fall apart.
    Michael
    Last edited by Terry; 04-06-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Thank you, its what I needed to hear. I'll sleep better now.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Unless you used AKAT (kiln dried after treatment) wood, YES, you will have problems. The really wet stuff tends to warp and really make a mess of things as it dries out. The fasteners, may survive okay, but the warping may destroy the tile. Drywall screws are quite brittle and have no corrosion resistance. CBU screws would have had a much better chance of surviving.

A steam shower is an extreme test case for a shower - the steam pressure requires that you waterproof it really well. There are various approved methods to do this. It doesn't sound like you are using one of them. The bible on this is the TCNA (Tile Council North America) handbook, that is the basis of most code agencies on building anything with tile.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for help on tiling your steam shower.
    Last edited by jadnashua; 03-29-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

In the soggy Northwest, it takes a couple of years for drywall screws used to fasten wood members, fully exposed to the weather, to
    corrode to the point of failure. Framing nails I am sure will last longer. Even if you used the wet PT lumber, it will dry out in a few
    months and presumably stay that way, at which point corrosion should be nil. If you havn't tiled yet, you should wait until the lumber
    dries out, as there may well be warpage issues.

Default Thanks for the help

I'm going to leave it as-is and hope that I don't have issues while I'm alive.