For those needing something stronger (that accursed 2%)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimew

Reaction score
You suggested for those 2% that need a flushmate or caroma…

In my family all learned at an early age how to work a plunger. And my sister learned to use a snake. We discovered flushmate (but until today I didn’t know it by that name, only by jet flush or pressure assist) years ago.

Upon moving to new home we were assured we’d be pleased with St. Thomas due to 3†flow valve. Apparently 2 ⅛†trapway and 3†flow valve like Toto. But apparently those specs enable movement of lots of small stool material, not large stools.

So a few questions. Is the flushmate IV as effective as the III? Is it really only a bit louder than low flow gravity toilets as Sloan indicates on their site? Can you recommend toilet models for Caroma and also for any that use that flushmate IV if effective or flushmate III if the IV isn’t as effective?

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any of the Caroma's will work with larger then normal stools.

highline-pa-ken.jpg

For the Flushmate models, I like the Kohler Highline pressure assist.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't confuse a large flapper valve from the tank to the bowl with a larger trapway. The caroma has a larger trapway. Many toilets have a 3" flapper. The large flapper allows high flow to create the siphon jet and head to flush, but if the stool is not somewhat flexible and longer than average, it won't push it through the trap.

Jimew

Reaction score
Thank you for both replies. we are checking out the caroma which at least has the largest trapway and will investigate effectiveness for clearing and noisiness of the kohler highline which I see is the flushmate IV. People are generally satisfied with caroma? any drawbacks to know about them and any models to prefer for effectiveness and reliability? not concerned with "beauty"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Flush after you get up and close the lid! I've never used one that I know if, but that's what I've heard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks