Rotten Egg Smell after replacing anode rods in water heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

ArayT

Reaction score
I posted this in the Water Softener Forum earlier, may have been the wrong location. After reading many post can someone tell me what type of test I should have run to determine if I have a bacteria problem. A year or so ago I did bleach my well out and the problem seemed to have gone away. It came back and then I replaced the anoddes in the water heaters and then rebleached everything. After this it got better and now its abck again. The problem I'm having is primilary with my upstairs, which I never go or use (teenager does). I Forgot to include the PH of 7.6 and hardness of 161 ppm. These test were done before installing the softener.
Thanks Again Ray

Can someone tell me the source of my rotten egg smell. I replaced the aluminum rods in both water heaters & I Still have that smell. I ocassionally get the smell downstairs (which is served by a different water heater) but upstairs its still real bad. I replaced the anode rods and the problem pretty much went away, but now its back. Had the water tested in 09 these are the results. Calcium 62.2 ppm, iron .25 ppm, magnesium 1.4 ppm, manganese .05 ppm, potassium .8 ppm, silica 34.76 ppm, sodium 2.9 ppm, all else was negliable. I installed a water softner just after this test and then replaced the anodes. Could gasses be traveling to the high point in the system which is upstairs? anyhelp would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ray

ArayT

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, That will be easier. Do you think this will solve my problems? I also read that my water softener could be causing this due to the reaction between softened water and the anodes. If this is the case is there a fix.
Thanks, Ray

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello ArayT and the group,

A powered anode may be the way to go to cure the problem completely. I just decreased my softness level on my softener and
it helped a lot. Gary is the pro for softeners. I am just the Jack of all Trades, and the Master of None. LOL

Have a great day.

DonL

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
To have a H2S odor in the hot water you need three things present in the cold water entering the heater; SRB (sulfur reducing bacteria and in some cases iron reducing), some sulfates and a type of anode rod allowing the bacteria to get a hydrogen ion off it. Remove one of the three things and no more odor.

The bacteria come in from the water source, usually a well, so it is an ongoing thing as long as you have the bacteria in the ground that cna get into the water. The bacteria is harmless.

Naturally soft or softened water can not cause the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks