Resaurant Sink Drains, did I screw up? ABS vs Copper

Users who are viewing this thread

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
I went to a restaurant last week and had to rebuild the drain on their bar sink which drains into a floor drain.
It was 1-1/2" copper with tight 90's and no clean outs. The bartenders keep dropping straws down the drain and clogging them. And there is no easy way to repair.

I rebuilt the drain long sweeps, clean outs etc.... All good but I used ABS pipes.
Now that I've walked home and am thinking about it I wonder, about half of the restaurants seem to have copper, and the other half ABS.

Just because they use ABS does not mean that it's valid.....

Thanks Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
should be PVC DWV SYS 15

SHOULD BE? Why? I have not used a single piece of PVC DWV pipe or fittings in the 40 years I have been in this area, but HAVE installed many commercial and bar sinks using ABS.

Correction. I did use PVC for a laboratory sink drain because they were using chemicals that melted ABS but not PVC.​

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks