Any experience with Washlet type seats and hard water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dorrough

Reaction score
I've always wanted one of the washlet type seats from Toto. The heated seat . . . the warm water . . . the air dry . . . seems so wonderful. Especially since I hope to age in place, and put off the day when anyone has to assist me with cleanup operations. But our water is very hard, over 100 grains of hardness. It goes through a softener which means that the resulting water has a lot of dissolved salts. These form white deposits on sinks and faucets. I deal with this with white sinks which don't show the deposits. The deposits seem easy enough to wash off. But would they interfere with the operation of a washlet? Plug up the holes/spigots/whatever openings are in the washing part? Should I give up on this idea because it would be too hard to maintain/clean, or is there hope?

Thanks fellow toilet fans!

xucchini

Reaction score
Toto Neorest 500 and hard water

I just had to replace (under warranty) after two years of use the electronics and flush valve of my Neorest 500 due to hard water scaling issues.. I guess things got plugged up and water got onto the electronics.

I am not sure, but I heard that water around here is 18 grains per gallon and I guess anything over 10 grains is considered hard water.

I am currently looking into solutions to keep this from happening again in 2 more years. I currently have no water softener at all.

According to my fire sprinker system my water pressure is 60psi which is within the neorest 500 spec.

I've always wanted one of the washlet type seats from Toto. The heated seat . . . the warm water . . . the air dry . . . seems so wonderful. Especially since I hope to age in place, and put off the day when anyone has to assist me with cleanup operations. But our water is very hard, over 100 grains of hardness. It goes through a softener which means that the resulting water has a lot of dissolved salts. These form white deposits on sinks and faucets. I deal with this with white sinks which don't show the deposits. The deposits seem easy enough to wash off. But would they interfere with the operation of a washlet? Plug up the holes/spigots/whatever openings are in the washing part? Should I give up on this idea because it would be too hard to maintain/clean, or is there hope?

Thanks fellow toilet fans!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks