Converting single bathroom sink to double sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxxfusion

Reaction score
Website
www.maxxfusion.com
I am in the process of remodelling my bathroom. I have a 72" vanitiy with a single sink. I figured since I have the space double sinks would be really nice to have especially with kids. I made this decision late in my remodel project. I looked under the cabinet to check things out and found out that at one time there was double sinks there. So all the copper is in place. Here is my issue. I went to Lowes today and bought some ABS. I can not find the double fixture tee anywhere. I came home and googled the part. I came across the tee at Grainger but its 2 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2. The abs pipe that runs upstairs is 1 1/2.

So my question is does the double fixture tee i need exist in all 1 1/2? I am assuming i will have to order this online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maxxfusion

Reaction score
Website
www.maxxfusion.com
I just found a double sanitary tee in all 1 1/2. Not sure if I can use that?

Attachments

• abs_double-Sanitary.jpg
    abs_double-Sanitary.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 6,586

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 1.5 double santee will be a bear to snake. It would need a cleanout on the vent to clear the center.

There are also ways to run it using a wye and two santees that would force the snake downhill instead of over and across to the other lav location.

If I had 1.5" pipe, I wouldn't even bother with a cross, but instead wye off and have opposing santees to to separate trap arms and then revent at 42"

I know that are come countries that will do it, but they must not have ever done service work. I would love to watch them try to get the snake to drop down the vertical.

single_to_double_lav.jpg

Just found this picture

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I searched this forum to find this picture from a thread created last year...
attachment.php

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
How would that be any better than the double santee.

Look at what Terry posted, do you a see a double fitting of any type there?

Maxxfusion

Reaction score
Website
www.maxxfusion.com
So if I could find a 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 fixture cross I would be ok? I have looked a bit online and can only find the 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 1.5 fixture cross. Since I had the double sinks at one time and only have 1.5 pipe run to the bathroom can I just use a reducer to go from the 2 pipe to the existing 1.5?

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
So tell me why you can not use two (2) San Tee's facing opposite directions one three inches lower than the other.
It would result in about a 3" difference in heights for the two P-Traps but that should not be an issue, and would have a short section of a wet vent.
Michael

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Besides the venting issue, would you honestly be proud to have a tail piece under one sink that is 4" longer than the other? I would view that as a mistake as a prospective buyer of the home...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The minimum wet vent is a 2" pipe.
To keep the venting working right, I would still separately vent them.

Last edited:

Maxxfusion

Reaction score
Website
www.maxxfusion.com
I am going to get my parts today. So just to confirm to do the method Terry recommended i will need 4 san tees and 2 45s? I already got the 2 90s.

Also I should measure up 42" from the first san tee to connect the second san tee for the venting?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Incorrect, the offset of the stack is created with wyes and 45s, not santees... the santees are where the trap arm ties in...

You need 2 wyes, 2 santees, 2 45s (street in his photo)... and pipe obviously...

You already have 2 90s, but are they long radius or vent ells?

I'd be installing a clean out below the lower wye myself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks