Toilet Bowl Seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Schipperke

Reaction score
I have seen some photos of toilet installs where the white silicone <?> sealer around the bowl at the floor does not extend to the rear of the base. Is there a reason for this? I can't recall seeing a toilet done that way here, the sealer goes all around.:confused:

(I did try searching first)

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
The silicone around the base of the toilet is to keep water splashed on the floor from seeping under the toilet and damaging the for or the ceilings below.

I like to leave the back open so that if there is any leakage at the toilet flange there may be an indication before the floor rots out.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most plumbers would use a latex caulk rather than silicone because silicone is difficult to remove if/when the toilet needs to be pulled.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Silicone pretty much ruins a floor. You can't ever get it off, so if you ever decide to go with a different bowl, you're best to just replace the floor at the same time.
Plumbers use water based caulk.
In Arizona, they caulk 360
In Washington, they don't caulk the back, that way you notice a leaking seal in time to prevent the toilet from dropping right through the floor.

Arizona doesn't have wood floors.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Arizona has few wood floors in our bathrooms, but we DO have inspectors who check the rear of the bowl to be sure the caulking was put there.
spider_crawl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks