(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: toilet and pipe knocks?

Default toilet and pipe knocks?

Everytime I flush my upstairs toilet and it starts to refill, I get a double knocking sound. I replaced the ball/fill valve and added an arrester, but I still have the noise. I bleeded the pipes several times using different methods; shut-off main and open lines starting with closest the main line and reverse order when main back-on; shutoff main and drained lines and then closed all lines and turned main back on (suppose to restore air to the arresters?).

Any ideas?

I also cut a hole in the wall to see if any pipes were loose. Didn't see anything.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

What type of arrester and where did you install it? To work, the thing needs to be as close as possible to the offending valve. Some valves shut off faster than others. You might consider a Korky Quiet-Fill valve or a Fluidmaster (assuming either of these would fit - they do on most toilets). Draining the water will have little, or short term, if at all effect on a water hammer situation.

Air columns don't work, or if they do, don't work for long. It is almost impossible to drain them, too. Think finger over the end of a straw...that's what you've got there. An engineered version uses a piston or a bladder so the air can't be absorbed into the water.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I put in a mini arrester between the toilet and the angle valve. Looks ugly and it didn't resolve the issue. Its not a terribly loud knock and I figure with the arrester on the toilet, I might be okay. I replace the house plumbing to PEX for the basement and first floor but the upstairs is all copper.

Before I would cut holes in the wall and/or install minirestors, I would have replaced the toilet's fill valve, because that is probably what is causing the sounds.