(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Master Plumber and hot water heater swap out

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    You would get it if you were a plumber..
    I'm not a steam locomotive engineer either, nor do I make moonshine. The problem with the moonshine still analogy is that it would not be fed a constant supply of cold make-up water. Now a steam locomotive is purpose built to make steam in large quantity...

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And yet a water heater will tear right though the roof of a building and land city blocks away in an intersection.
    Imagine driving down the street and being hit by a water heater.

Water tank explodes, lands 400 feet away

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...7&slug=boom27m

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...lug=homedhay10

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...354_hay07.html

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...1&slug=2728118

At 60 pounds pressure, water boils at 307.4 degrees
    At 0 pounds pressure, water boils at 212 degrees
    At 50 pounds pressure, it releases the same energy as two pounds of dynamite.
    I give the WATTS video five stars. I learned a lot from this video.

Maybe two stars on this, but still pretty fun.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-03-2011 at 01:00 PM.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Anyone have statistics on the frequency of such a thing happening? I don't recall if the Mythbusters gave statistics.

According to the U.S. National Weather Service, the odds of being struck by lightning in my lifetime are about 1 in 5,000 so I won't step into the shower during a storm. I was standing at the kitchen sink once, looking out the window at a storm that was looming, when an arc jumped between the open metal-clad window and the faucet. Hopefully that's as close as I'll ever get to being struck.

Blog Entries

My son is in a band, and the drummers day job is painting. His boss was cleaning up his equipment in the garage when the fumes exploded, blowing him through the closed garage door with burns all over his body.
    He had plugged in an electrical cord and it sparked.

There is a lot of stuff that happens in construction that never makes the news. We sometimes make jokes, but it's not news if it happens to construction workers.

I was working with a guy that saw two of his buddies buried in concrete during a pour on one of the big hydro dams. The men had fallen and the other workers were ordered to keep pouring. More things happen then you realize.
    I think compensation for a loped off hand is something like $15,000

New home construction is permitted and inspected. They try to keep things safe.
    We wouldn't be allowed to run PVC for a relief line. And we couldn't trap it either. It is the permits and the inspections that prevent a lot of this. But do we come across bad stuff? Sometimes. Like the heater that flew 400 feet through air in the Seattle area that did make the news, someone had plugged a leaking T&P.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-03-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Terry what do you use for relief lines, I just checked and mine is PVC too...

Blog Entries

I've been using copper.
    I don't have any PVC fittings in the truck.
    I don't work outside the foundation very often. UPC code doesn't allow PVC inside the foundation, and only for cold water.
    Some of the newer homes, I've seen CPVC being used. I haven't done new construction for a while.

My T&P gurgles some water out, and closes properly, but it isn't a huge rush of water like I expected...

Blog Entries

If you open it all the way, it will be full stream.

I'd say BallValve needs to watch the Watts Video from about 5:08 on to see what his engineering is missing with his absolute confidence in relief valves....

In spite of the relief valve it still went boom...

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Default dont worry little fella.......

you have a better chance of winning the power ball lottery than having a water heater blow up on you

actually its probably more likely to win the lottery twice in the same month..

you need to find somethign else to worry about..

Mark, seriously, you should put that on the back of your business cards:

I'm not going to do your plumbing to code, because you have a better chance of winning the power ball lottery than having something go wrong from me picking and choosing what code I want to follow. Customers need to find something else to worry about. - Mark the Master Plumber.
    That's EXACTLY the kind of attitude my Plumber has.

How much money in plumbing do you think you'd make if you went public with that philosophy? I hear you say one thing (that the job the Master Plumber did on my hot water heater was terrible), but then you speak of not following code as if it's "ok." A big catastrophe often results from an accumulation of seemingly small "well this won't hurt anything" + "that won't hurt anything" + yet another "this won't hurt anything" adding up to one huge issue. If Plumbers pick and choose what they believe is important while throwing the code out, integrity goes right down the toilet. There should be a difference between Master Plumber and Handyman. When you don't follow code you blur the line, if not erase it. As a customer, I don't want a Plumber deciding my odds. I want a Plumber to follow code.
    Last edited by augusta; 04-03-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by augusta View Post
    Mark, seriously, you should put that on the back of your business cards:

I'm not going to do your plumbing to code, because you have a better chance of winning the power ball lottery than having something go wrong from me picking and choosing what code I want to follow. Customers need to find something else to worry about. - Mark the Master Plumber.
    That's EXACTLY the kind of attitude my Plumber has.

How much money in plumbing do you think you'd make if you went public with that philosophy? I hear you say one thing (that the job the Master Plumber did on my hot water heater was terrible), but then you speak of not following code as if it's "ok." A big catastrophe often results from an accumulation of seemingly small "well this won't hurt anything" + "that won't hurt anything" + yet another "this won't hurt anything" adding up to one huge issue. If Plumbers pick and choose what they believe is important while throwing the code out, integrity goes right down the toilet. There should be a difference between Master Plumber and Handyman. When you don't follow code you blur the line, if not erase it. As a customer, I don't want a Plumber deciding my odds. I want a Plumber to follow code.

Ouch! The Pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post

Ouch! The Pain!
    Sorry, not meant to be painful. Mark has been spot on in his observations and I appreciate him posting although flippant and bored. But you can't say, "well, of course I do it right, but performing work not to code is really no big deal." Bad behavior, and doing the wrong thing, always start out with that way of thinking. Where the mind and heart go the body will soon follow.
    Last edited by augusta; 04-04-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Default Finished - I hope.

Master Plumber contacted me today stating he finished this job yesterday. (work order was from March 17..that's 23 days for a Plumber to do roughly a 2 hour job. But hey, they were being "safe" and keeping their risk of breaking something down, so I should be thankful, right?)

1. I had asked him to put a cap on the 2nd gas line so the future tenant won't bump it to the "on" position (there was a cap on the original left side gas shut off because the tenant chose to not use a gas dryer.) Instead of just putting a cap on the right since we swapped water heaters to electric like I had asked, he removed both shut off valves on the first visit. Then he put a double shut off valve back yesterday, but now neither side is capped. Sigh.
    Name:  04092011504.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  46.9 KB

2. He removed his PVC line form the T&P Relief valve, and installed a new run with CPVC, drilling a hole in the wall to the outside this time. I have no idea where the first line was running that he installed (maybe tapped into an existing line that wasn't to code.)
    Name:  04092011506.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  62.1 KB
    Name:  04092011505.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  43.1 KB

3. I had hoped they would use a metal to cpvc adapter/transition at the T&P Relief valve. Of course they just installed a regular fitting. I had gone to the trouble of going to a plumbing supply co and purchased the correct fitting, but when I went by the house, they had already left. I just laid it on top of the water heater and snapped the shot. Since it's not an IPC code violation, I suppose I'll let that slide...
    Name:  04092011502.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  55.5 KB
    Unless someone sees something wrong with it, I suppose I'll close the book on what was supposed to be a simple gas to electric water heater swap out. At least now, with the help I received in this forum, I know I could do the next one. So, I'm happy about that. Thanks!

quote; Anyone have statistics on the frequency of such a thing happening? I don't recall if the Mythbusters gave statistics

ONE time is enough. You can start with the Bell Telephone Exchange building on Wall Street that was demolished by a pressure vessel with a capped relief valve. They had to bring in an emergency switchboard for months while the building was repaired. But, in the 50s Domestic Engineering magazine had a picture almost every week of an electric water heater which had exploded and destroyed a building, and in one case decapitated a boy sleeping on the porch on the other side of the wall from the heater.