Can mosaic tiles go on the floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ecoman

Reaction score
Website
www.greenfutureconstruction.com
I really love the mosaic tiles patterns...the colors and glaze of it is amazing! i want to install it in my bath but don't know how to calculate the quantity i would need ...actually now that i think about it i realize they came in standard size of 1by 1, so i guess i just need to see how many square footage i`v got.
So i have this question solved!

But my next question is - can they go on the floor ...they look so fragile?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The bigger problem is slippery. Tiles for the floor have a different glaze. Wall tiles tend to be way to slippery for satisfactory use on the floor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are numerous mosaics rated for floor use - this depends on how durable the tile and glaze is. If it is only rated for a wall, then no, do not use it on a floor. A floor rated tile can be used either location, but a wall rated tile should only be used on a wall. Often, the numerous grout lines with mosaics make it less slippery than a larger tile. There is an industry standard for floor tile, I-V (1-5), with V (5) rated for commercial use. This rating has nothing to do with how slippery it is, but on how well it stands up to wear.

Alyssa

Reaction score
Website
www.qualitybath.com
You should be able to find a lot of options for mosaic floor tiling. Floor tiles & wall tiles have a different finish so I wouldn't recommend using tiles meant for walls on your floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; BUT, we went ahead and did it anyways

A PERFECT example of someone who asks a question and keeps asking it until he either gets an answer he wants, or decides to IGNORE all the expert opinions and do what he intended to begin with.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For a given tile size, a mosaic will be less 'slippery' because it has more grout lines, which aid in traction (at least in your bare feet). You must be careful in cleaning the grout during installation to ensure you don't dish out the grout line, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks