This is why...

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
there are horrible kids because they got horrible parents... imagine, what their kids are learning from them, eh? Like the parents & the little girl lives are not hard enough. Shame, shame...

By Barbara Liston Barbara Liston – 2 hrs 53 mins ago
ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) – Some public school parents in Edgewater, Florida, want a first-grade girl with life-threatening peanut allergies removed from the classroom and home-schooled, rather than deal with special rules to protect her health, a school official said.

"That was one of the suggestions that kept coming forward from parents, to have her home-schooled. But we're required by federal law to provide accommodations. That's just not even an option for us," said Nancy Wait, spokeswoman for the Volusia County School District.

Wait said the 6-year-old's peanut allergy is so severe it is considered a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

To protect the girl, students in her class at Edgewater Elementary School are required to wash their hands before entering the classroom in the morning and after lunch, and rinse out their mouths, Wait said, and a peanut-sniffing dog checked out the school during last week's spring break.

Wait said school leaders will meet this week with parents to address concerns and try to halt inaccurate rumors that children's mouths were being wiped with disinfectant.

Chris Burr, a father of two older students at the school whose wife has protested at the campus, said a lot of small accommodations have added up to frustration for many parents.

"If I had a daughter who had a problem, I would not ask everyone else to change their lives to fit my life," said Burr.

Attempts to teach the girl's parents for comment on Monday were unsuccessful.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I agree. American parents of American kids are extremely selfish.

Just try to sneeze in a roomfull of American moms with newborn babies and see what happens.

It's a symptom of the society you have created for yourselves.

The pure pursuit of self-interest with Government perceived always as bad creates this type of thing.

Time for a change.

Cookie

Reaction score
Hmm, that is not exactly what I said. Or even close. I said, "that is why there are horrible kids because their are horrible parents" using, the article as a source of my reference. I made no reference to the birthplace even. Pathetic people are found anywhere globally. Using, this article to cite why, there are horrible kids, because of what they are being taught by example, ie, one mom even protesting, showing such little compassion and humanity. I remember years ago, a mom, taught her kid to hit first. The mom was a pre-school teacher and her birthplace was Japan, and nationality was Japanese. Her son when finally made his way into our school, where I was a first-grade teacher back then, was his 5th school. He was booted out of the others, including privates ones & public. Her son created a game called the Terminator, which the movie was popular back then, and the object was to "terminate" those he didn't like. Well, he eventually, shot a cop and took his own life when he got older. I tried to help her, her son, and her husband, threw up his hands a long long time before he even got into our school. So, it comes globally. But, she taught him to hit first even when no one was hitting him. It was vey sad.

No matter what country you are in, sneezing in the same room with a newborn is not recommended. I know, a sneeze is not conjured up deliberately and sometimes, unavoidable but, if that person is sick, shouldn't be in that room for a visit. Their lungs are not yet fully functional to capacity and a cold can be very hard or even, fatal. I am surprised at the lack of understanding this Ian on your part, and why a mom or even a good dad, would be upset. I certaintly would be. I have been not seeing even my own little grandson because I have been sick, I don't want him to get sick and have to suffer.

Jacobsond

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nielsenelectric.com
I dont understand the terrible parents terrible kids statement.While it is very unfortunate that the child has this allergy the high dollars the school needs to spend and the inconvenience of the children in the school is a concern. Not all parents can home school but a system of tutors could be set up to teach this child in the safety of her own home. The cost likely would not be greater than their solution. Providing accommodations would be the tutoring.I totally understand the frustration of the other parents having to accommodate the child. IMHO bowing to the needs of a minority (sick child) is not needed where there are other options. It certainly is not like making things handicap assessable. We cant start making allergies a form disability that the public needs accommodate for.

Cookie

Reaction score
Alot of parents cannot take the time off to home school for one. Especially, if a child has special needs, usually, a parent got some pretty hefty medical bills. Geez, have some compassion. It is not rocket science to wash your hands and rinse out your mouth, it is good hygiene anyway, especially with flu season, etc. This practice for that child would I would think be only in the lower grades, once, she is older she will understand it for herself.

Your child is exactly what their first teacher teaches. That is the parent. Having a mom protesting over this, is horrible. Really sad.

Cookie

Reaction score
In some school systems like mine, they mainstream children with behavior problems. Gross behaviors, and some are on the drugs to sedate them, because the school won't take them unless; sometimes the drugs works and sometimes they don't. Should the children in the classrooms they are in, be subjected to the disturbances? Should the teacher have to stop every 5 mins to take the child to the office to get help after she/he has had enough? Minority? Unles you teach wow, you don't understand how one child with less than questionable behavior can create an environment where everyone is falling behind because the teacher cannot teach. You got 23 kids in the lower grades classroom, and one... ruins it all.

I feel sorry for those kids with a Hyperactivity problem, but, they should not be mainstreamed. Their are special needs programs for those, but then, the parent objects thinking they are not getting the best educaion since, all the other kids in their classroom are acting up! WOW... it still baffles my mind...
Because they do not see their child as such, even though they are code as such.

Now, should all those kids be homeschooled? Where is the line drawn? For the kid with a wheelchair and can't do the stairs. Should the school put in a ramp or an elevator depending on how floors they will have to go?

What about the blind? What about a child with cancer and have to vomit all the time? And, needs help to the bathroom? My word, their are so many minorites, you maybe don't see because you are fortunate enough not to have to deal with an issue as such.

There are bullies. My word, the bullies. Oh. They make things tougher than having an eye-seeing dog for the blind, or a peanut-smelling dog for that little girl.

I have tried to instill in schools, especially in high school, another optional language for credits besides your Chinese and Russian most won't use, I have petitioned the school board which I also sat on, on one time, to get Sign Language taught.

Deaf kids... should they be home schooled, because you got to realize they require time, money, and effort, too.

I am just saying the obvious.

That mom should be ashamed of herself. We had a few kids with Diabetes. We had to restructure the lunch problem to help them out. Adding this and that. It took some doing because of the money involved believe it or not.

People just need to care more about the other guy, could you imagine what this world would be like if everyone put someone else before theirself?

Like the song, " what a wonderful world it would be."

Kali2024

Reaction score
Wait what about the kids who will only eat PB& J sandwiches? No sympathy for them?

Cookie

Reaction score
I sympathize with everyone in the entire world, even those who are rude. I got a heart of gold.

But, come to think of it, my kid and I we love Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, still eat them. Sometimes out of need since it is cheap, and, I need to eat cheap sometimes. Most times, lol.

I am still paying for even, my deceased husband's bills.

And, I am sure... for those parents who pack a Peanut butter & jelly sandwich could pack a cheese sandwich, a bologna sandwich and, if they cannot, their financial status would be so low, they would get vouchers for a free lunch at any public school system.

See, things could always work out for everyone, if someone wanted to be nice and help another.

Last edited:

Kali2024

Reaction score
wait you're telling me that if you were on a bus/train or what have you and someone sneezed right next to you o in your directions you wouldn't care? Give me a break! There is nothing wrong with trying to keep one's baby healthy ESPECIALLY newborns whose immune system hasn't been developed yet. Sheesh! BTW I'm not an American citizen.

Cookie

Reaction score
I am totally lost for one, about your post and second what you are so angry about. What's your problem?

On, I do apologize you are referring to Ian's post, lol. I was wondering...

I am sure Ian cares.

Kali2024

Reaction score
nono...that was a reply to the guy above you... sorry I hit reply to his post but it didnt show up correctly

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you can't exist in the same world as peanuts, you need to work on that. I make a point of carrying peanuts onto the plane with me, just in case the airline has gone PC on me. If my kid had that, I would not trust that a school could make classroom for sure safe.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Sometimes people sneeze.

It happens.

Get over it America.

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't know about Ian, but I was. I used to beat my brother up, lol, last time we got into a physical fight I was 17, :) We are close in ages, too close. My dad always taught me how to defend myself but, not my brother, so I practiced on him when we got mad at each other. I was a horrible kid.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks