Macclean filter media change...HOW????

Users who are viewing this thread

gentleman5926

Reaction score
I am a renter for a lady who has a Model MCF1628-1 Macclean filtration system on her well. She wants me to change the media in the tank, but an unsure of the proper method. PLEASE, COULD SOMEONE LEND SOME STEP-BY-STEP ON THIS?? I really dont want to mess up my landlords system!!! Thanks!
(she has not got the 200 dollars to pay for it to be changed). Hope to hear from you all soon!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like the tank is 16" across and that the valve is a 2850 from fleck.

Is the media on hand?

gentleman5926

Reaction score
No sir, media is not on hand. Wanted to try to figure out how to change it before I told her to get the stuff. Guess I can tell her to go ahead and buy it, she will need it anyway. Am I supposed to remove the old media, or is it designed to dissolve over time? I Tried the backwash, but nothing came out on backwash, but the next cycle up towards the run position allowed water to flow out of the drain hose. (flush?? position?) Tried it a couple of times like the lever indicated, 1) down to backwash, 2) up to next position (flush??), 3) to Run position. But none of the times did ANYTHING come out when the lever was in backwash position, just the position above it. I am a newbie/rookie. She was saying that you just dumped the new bag of media in the top, without removing the old media... to me that was counter-intuitive, unless the media is designed to dissolve over time. Thanks for your response, and the breakdown of the Model Number meanings... :) Hope to hear from you again soon, she is driving me crazy!!!!
haha

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any photos?
Sounds like it is a manual lever and not the timer.

Sounds also like the mixed bed media, yes there is calcite that is added from time to time so that there is 17" of space between media and the top of the tank.

Depending on the age or when the last time the media was changed , the mixed bed does need to be replaced every x number of years.. some it is 6years and others can get out to 13 years.....

Also sounds like the valve body and spacers and piston are loaded with iron so that no water can pass through the system or the drain is plugged.

gentleman5926

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. She DID tell me last night that is had "white stuff and black charcoal pieces in it". the Valve body IS manual lever, not a timer, and I will get a picture to you as soon as I figure out how to upload it here or somewhere else. Possible through Yahoo mail if I had your email, up to you though. She was arguing that there was no way to turn it over and dump all the old media out , but I never said that I knew exactly what you had meant. If the valve body and stuff is plugged up, is there anything that I can do myself to unplug it or does a professional have to be brought in? I will go take a few pics now and send them to wherever you wish.. I really appreciate all the help you are offering!! Thanks!!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks