(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Leaking water service in front yard. What are my repair options?

Hybrid View

Default Leaking water service in front yard. What are my repair options?

I am getting this question out in advance of knowning the size and material of my water service: right now what I have is a hole in the front yard slowly filling with water, and its getting dark so I am putting off fully exposing the pipe.

I expect to find 3/4" copper, but my house is almost 100 years old so if its the original service it could be something else.

Anyhow, from what I have been able to tell, I have a pinhole-sized leak. I don't want to replace the service at this point, that will be a major job involving removing a retaining wall etc. etc. I just want a quick fix, recognizing that it may not last forever.

So... are there ready-made repair couplings or other do-dads that I can buy to handle this problem or will I need to be replacing a length of service and splicing in a new piece with compression fittings, or...

Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated!

You have two options, replace the entire line, or hire someone to BRAZE on a repair coupling.
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Braze, eh? I presume that would be a brass repair coupling then? I haven't brazed since grade 8 metal shop...

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

If your looking for a temporary repair six months or so, then try a hose clamp with a piece of rubber under it until you can replace the line. If the house is 100 years old chances are it's a galvanized line. If the leak is at a fitting then this method will not work.

John

Thanks John, I was thinking that way already. It isn't at a fitting (well, there's no reason why there should be a fitting in this location - tomorrow I will know for sure).

I am probably looking for a repair good for a couple of years until mega yard reno happens. But its a shallow dig, so no big deal if my el-cheapo repair fails. There's no reason why such a repair should fail, save for the pipe underneath actually deteriorating further.

Tomorrow I should know what material I am dealing with and will go from there.

I would recommend using a repair coupling or two.
    I use them all the time for this type of issue. Basically an over sized piece of pipe with a rubber compression sleeve on each end to seal the pipe.
    Use two of them to replace a section of pipe or one to slide over the break. I used one on a 2 inch water main on Saturday. And try to carry two of each size on my truck at all times.
    Michael
    Last edited by Terry; 04-06-2011 at 09:25 PM.