Tub p-trap, to replace or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sbslider

Reaction score
I have already removed my bathtub as part of a bathroom remodel. A contractor friend of mine saw the old connection from the tub drain to the p-trap was made with a flexible rubber connection held with hose clamps. I recall doing this a few years back when I had drain problems. He said I ought to consider replacing the p-trap so I can make a proper connection.

The existing p-trap is metal (cast iron?) and the thread on the pipe is rusted/corroded. Doubt one could thread anything back on there.

I would cut out the old trap in a moment and replace it with ABS, except for one problem. By the time the p-trap is straightened out going toward the sewer, the pipe is underneath the concrete slab. I'm guessing I would have to cut away concrete to get to a point where I could make a clean cut on the horizontal pipe.

The drain is flowing freely now, but who knows what the future would bring. The house is 50 years old, likely this pipe is also

Looking for recommendations on how to proceed. Thanks in advance. :)

IMG_1374[1].jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can tap a bit more concrete out and replace the trap, or if the nipple is poured in lead, you should be able to remove the lead by drilling and prying, and install a new pipe nipple with a rubber insert tyseal.

Sbslider

Reaction score
thank you for the quick response. I am not savvy enough to know exactly how to replace the pipe nipple, but since a magnet sticks to all the elements of the old plumbing I'm guessing it is not lead.

How hard is it to chip away concrete? Sounds like a messy job prone to a screw up unless done by someone who knows what they are doing, but I have never tried.

BTW, thanks so much for all the great info you provide on your website. You are an asset to the DIY community. :cool:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The manner in which the trap connects to the next pipe was probably made using lead. This is poured into the hub to seal around the pipe. Once you get that part out (drilling, prying, etc.), they make a rubber donut specifically for fitting in there, and then it's a compression/pressure fit to an abs or pvc pipe. A cold chisel and a sledge hammer should allow you to chip out a big enough chunk to expose the next connection. Make sure to wear good eye protection and maybe hearing protection, as the chips can fly, and the pounding can be loud!

You could rent a demolition chisel, or if you have a hammer drill, use a carbide drill to make some holes around where you want to break it, and then use a chisel and sledge. The holes will help to prevent cracking.

tub-ptrap-install-dean.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The concrete removes easily with a sledge hammer. The nipple can be removed from the trap using a torch to melt the lead and then pulling the pipe out of the hub. Either one is a simple job for a good plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks