Recommendations needed to improve my water filtration system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dergrah

Reaction score
Hi,

My water sucks and the wife has put in the order that it must get fix ASAP. This is my second post about my system, my softener is broken but for the purposes of this post let’s assume it’s fixed. All the items I have a are 4 ½ years old.

My current setup is attached with my water test results below

I have a 10†blue filter with 5micon filter and I plug it up in a month with sand and rusty looking stuff. (manganese?) I should also note that I do get iron bacterial from time to time with out chlorination.

I’ve had two professionals out to look at the system.

Fist one actually was interested in keeping some of my existing set up

He waned to do the following:

add a storage contact tank before the carbon filter
add a multi media backwashing filter I think after the carbon filter)
replacement of all the media in the existing softener and carbon filter.
Increase the size of the waste water line from ½ to 1 inch. ( DONE I did this myself)

But after coming out never returned any of my calls.

Second wanted to replace everything with:

Sentry I Open-Air with Aqua Booster
A new Carbon filter
Multi-Media backwashing filter

This system would have a storage tank and pump to re-pressurizing water in the house. He was more of a sales man that a water guy in my opinion but did make some convincing arguments about the sentry system ability to off gas vs. the addition of a contact storage tank on my current system.

The third consult was an online dealer who wanted to sell me:

Porixde injections system (iron and manganese iradicaton)
New media for my carbon filter
A dual tank water softener
A 20†pleated filter for the sediment

So many options and I hate throwing out my current system but will replace what is needed.

Looking for options on what I should do to improve my system that are no based on profit margins.

I filled a 4.88 Gallon container in 25 sec from the
input in the first backwashing filter so I think a 10 Gallon per Min flow
rate is available.

My last water test results:

PARAMETER UNITS Sample
Alkalinity as CaCO mg/L 268
Chloride mg/L 49
Conductivity uS/cm 710
Fluoride mg/L 0.16
N-NO3 (Nitrate) mg/L <0.10
pH 7.45
REDOX Potential mV 78
Sulphate mg/L 36
Tannin & Lignin mg/L 0.4
Hardness as CaCO3 mg/L 312
Ion Balance 0.95
Calcium mg/L 102
Magnesium mg/L 14
Potassium mg/L 3
Sodium mg/L 19
Iron mg/L 0.97
Manganese mg/L 1.48

Thank you!

Derek

Attachments

• House Water System.jpg
    House Water System.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 582

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
He waned to do the following:

add a storage contact tank before the carbon filter
add a multi media backwashing filter I think after the carbon filter)
replacement of all the media in the existing softener and carbon filter.
Increase the size of the waste water line from ½ to 1 inch. ( DONE I did this myself)
I'm curious what a multi media backwashing filter is. If it is anything like a birm filter, I would expect it to go before the carbon filter, not after. I assume the storage contact tank is to precipitate for particulate filtering. You would not want that gunking up the carbon.

Getting quotes and then getting follow-up is sometimes tough and varies by region. Around here, it is based on a system of trust and respect. When I first moved here from the big city, I had problems dealing with local trades and vendors as they were insulted merely by asking questions. I finally had to abrogate the job of GC and let my wife deal with the subs instead.

Dergrah

Reaction score
I think it's a sand filter but with two other media types in it and come to think about it they did want to but it before the carbon filter. The storage contact tank is to give the chlorine more contact time but I suspect that is would also help with sediment separation. Your last part of you post has my wife laughing because she's been threatening to demote me and take this problem on herself. My problem is that will result in at least a 10k bill.

Derek

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ja, a happy wife is a happy life even if it costs another 10 grand. My concern is always whether what is proposed is the best solution and money well spent. I'm not a water quality expert by any stretch of my imagination so I cannot advise based on your water test. I was just thrust into dealing with water quality because of my poor quality water and an unhappy wife.

I was thinking (and hopefully the experts will set me straight) that maybe a precipitation tank with air injection like the Iron Curtain filter system might be a compromise between the proposed contact tank, and the open-air storage. I wonder how much of what is trapped in the big blue is really sand. Rusty looking stuff, I think is precipitated iron as manganese is usually black and oily.

Dergrah

Reaction score
Making some progress today. I think I fixed my softener with a part I didn't install :) In the process I changed the filter and this is what 1 1/2 months looks like. Some of it is metallic looking stuff. Happy wife happy life. I need to keep reminding myself of that. Most of the sand and crap is from this filter change

Derek :)

Attachments

• 5 micron filter.jpg
    5 micron filter.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 550
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks