New shower valve, no hot water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris112

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I had a new tub installed and new Kohler shower valve by a licensed plumber. I tiled the tub surround, floor, etc.. myself. Now when I go to take a shower, I only have about 5 seconds of hot water, even turned up the full way. I totally removed the red safety check from the valve, made sure the hot/cold shut offs on the valve are fully open, and its still not working correctly. I have hot water in the rest of my house with no problem and the previous valve in the shower worked great. I just replaced the valve now since I had the wall open (best practice). I obviously plan to call the plumber back, but is there something I can do that might be missing? I know he didn't bleed the system after the install, but are new valves self bleeding? If he didn't bleed it would it affect just the shower or the entire water system?

Any direction would be great! I have not looked at the cartridge yet in the valve, but since its new I assumed it should be ok.

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• K304K.jpg
    K304K.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,481
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
k-304-stop.jpg

Sometimes there is a temperature limiter on the handle.
I would pull the directions and check for that first. It may not be allowing you to turn the handle to full hot.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe the pipes weren't flushed out before the cartridge was installed and now crud has bunged up the spool valve. You might try removing it and cleaning it. Do you know if uses pressure balancing or temperature sensing anti-scald?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks