Sump Pump Gurgles when it shuts off (It has a good check valve installed)

Users who are viewing this thread

aswetich

Reaction score
My basement sump pump is connected to a 1.5" discharge line (With a good check valve 2' from pump) that goes up 6 feet and than does a gradual slope down for about 200 feet ending at a point lower than the sump pit. When the sump pump stops the pit gurgles because it's sucking air until all the water empties from the 200 foot pipe. If I set the pump float higher it does the same thing because it starts a siphon until the water is emptied from the pit and then starts sucking air until the discharge line is empty. I thought putting a Studer valve (AAV) in the line might work but was concerned about it handling the pressure when the pump was running because a studer is normally used to provide air in a low pressure drain line situation. When I went to a local home center to purchase a studer valve the plumbing expert assured me the pressure during the pump cycle would not be a issue so I installed it. It held the pressure for about 15 seconds and spewed water all over my basement ! I don't think it matters but I have a water powered backup pump (With a built in check valve) that connects with a T in the main discharge line about 4 feet up the wall in the basement. The discharge line runs under a lot of concrete so replacing the line with a larger one is not a option.
This really has me stumped .....

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks