Shallow well and elevation to house

Users who are viewing this thread

snobuilder

Reaction score
Hi, new to site so maybe this question has been asked before but my son purchased a fixer upper home with a shallow well system. A new pump was put in prior to sale by the owner so I am not sure if it was sized properly as far as hp or ?A new small bladder tank was also installed with the pump.
The 1st floor of the house is aproximately 25 feet above and 120 feet laterally away from the pump pit.
There is 1" pipe entering the basement and I believe it is 1" underground all the way to the pump . The in and out are at about 25-50 or so .

Pressure at the first floor is very weak, what do you suggest?

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You lose about 10 PSI at 25 feet so a kick-in of 25 is too low. You should probably set the pump to 40-60 if it can do it. The losses laterally are affected by the volume of water you use.

Is the pump cycling and the pressure rising and falling frequently during use? You might want to consider a Cycle Stop Valve to take out all the dips and give you constant higher pressure.

snobuilder

Reaction score
Yeah you need to turn the pressure up. But you need to make sure your pump can build up to 60 OK.

so to know if the pump will handle 60 do we adjust the limiters and see if it will pump up and shut off?

if it won't pump up to 60 is a larger hp pump needed.

snobuilder

Reaction score
You lose about 10 PSI at 25 feet so a kick-in of 25 is too low. You should probably set the pump to 40-60 if it can do it. The losses laterally are affected by the volume of water you use.

Is the pump cycling and the pressure rising and falling frequently during use? You might want to consider a Cycle Stop Valve to take out all the dips and give you constant higher pressure.

here does a cycle stop valve get installed?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Where does a cycle stop valve get installed?
It goes between the pump and the tank.

If the pump cannot put out enough GPM at 60 PSI, you need a better pump. All pumps are not equal so you cannot just go by HP. Let us know how well your pump does at 60 PSI and how many GPM it can produce at that pressure. Then you need to balance that with need to determine the best pump. I will leave that to the pumpmen of the forum.

What brand and HP is your current pump? What size breaker is it on? Is it 110V or 220V?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks