Cutting a brass nipple

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeG

Reaction score
Well I'm almost done with my bathroom remodel (10 months later :( ) and I have one problem with a separate handheld supply line in the shower. We are installing a separate shower head and handheld. Everything is tiled and when I set the ell for the handheld I based it on the overall thickness of the backer board, thinset and tile etc. to calculate the setback. Well it looks like I'm shy by about 1/16 - 1/8". When I put a 3" nipple in I have about 1/4" on the outside of the wall to mount the handheld fitting. Kohler suggests 9/16" but I think that may be too much. I think I need use a 3 1/8" nipple.

I checked with Ferguson today and they don't cut/rethread pipe that short. So I was thinking I could take a 3 1/2" nipple and cut it down and rethread it with a 1/2" NPT die.

The other option is to cut a hole in the wall behind the shower and try to reset the ell.

Any advice on how to solve this problem?

Thanks, Mike

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
shower

Don't know why 3/8" is that critical if your using a brass nipple.

How are you going to hold the nipple to re-thread it?

There is no guarantee that you will have the same depth cut if you use a new die.

MikeG

Reaction score
Plumber1 -

I'm not sure what you mean

"Don't know why 3/8" is that critical if your using a brass nipple."

I was going to screw the die on first and cut both ends and then use the die to clean up the threads when I unscrew it.

I was planning on holding it with vise grips and then clam the vise grips.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
nipple

I just guessed that you were using a chrome, brass nipple.....

Why so critical about the length of the nipple. Of course, I may not understand what your doing either.

MikeG

Reaction score
Plumber1 -

It is a regular brass nipple. Currently a 3" nipple screwed into the ell with teflon tape etc. extends beyond the tile wall by about 1/4" to 3/8". Even though Kohler recommends a 9/16" extension from the wall I think that will be too much.

What I was trying to do is to get the nipple to extend about 1/2" from the wall so that when I mount the fixture I don't screw down on the tile and crack the tile. The fixture has a estceon (spelling?) that will cover up the tile and hole.

Sorry I'm not being clear.

Thanks,
Mike

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
shower

Again, why can't you let that nipple be 1/4" to 3/8" longer? Is it because of cosmetics or is it a spec. that you have to meet.
This sounds unusual to me.
What happens if it is a smidgen longer?

Finnegan

Reaction score
I would try trimming the 3 1/2" nipple and see how it goes. I expect that you should be able to just cut a bit off and then rework the threads. Even if it takes you a few tries, you should be able to do it.

MikeG

Reaction score
Plumber1

Here is the elbow that I'm installing....

Basically if I go with a 3 1/2" the elbow will stick out too far from the wall. The escutcheon will not cover up that large of a gap.

Flannigan - I'll give it a shot.

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• pn004604.jpg
    pn004604.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 829

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Instead of teflon tape, try pipe dope. It will thread deeper. If you're still sticking out too much, try using a 4in1 screw driver less the bit shoved inside the outlet of the elbow to make one more 360° turn, making sure not to damage the finish or the threads on the elbow. If you must cut a brass nipple, take the nipple you wish to cut, put tape on one end and screw it into a gal coupling attached to a 6" gal nipple at the other end, clamp the longer nipple with the jaws of a threader, then cut and thread the brass nipple. Afterwards, unscrew the brass nipple from the coupling and away you go. If that still doesn't work, you can always buy a nipple chuck, which are available for most freestanding electric threaders.

MikeG

Reaction score
When I got home tonight I remeasured things. The depth of the ell in the wall from the outside of the tile to the ell is 2 3/8". When I thread the brass nipple into the elbow hand tight it is 1/4". When I hand tread the nipple into another ell it comes to 1/4". So it looks like the total distance is 2 7/8" which should leave me 1/8" to work with. I guess I'll try fitting the 3" nipple again to see where things actually come to.

Thanks again for everyones help.

SRDenny - If I do need to cut and rethread, are you talking about using an electric threading machine? I would have thought Ferguson's whoul dhave suggested that. Oh well.....

Mike

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Pipe threads are tapered, so you can't do like you would with a machine screw and thread the die on, then back it out over the cut.

A good shop, but not necessarily a supply house, would have a nipple jig for their pipe threader. You may have to talk someone into doing one for you.

MikeG

Reaction score
Guys you've been a great help.

One last question... Can I expect to get the threads in 1/2" for the elbow and the ell? If I can without torquing the ell off then I think I might be able to use a standard 3 1/2" nipple.

Thanks, Mike

Dave Meers

Reaction score
Can't you just solder a 1/2" male threaded adapter to both ends of a short piece of 1/2" copper to get any length you need? I've done this several times since I don't have a thread machine and sometime need a non-standard length nipple. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks