Newbie Tub Surround mess up

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikes97gts

Reaction score
2011-03-16 08.15.20.jpg

So when I was cutting the holes for the tub spout and shower handle I cut the tub spout hole on the curve of the wall, so now I have a huge gap on the top part of the spout where the wall curves. Is there any way to get around this?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like a spin on galvanized nipple for the tub spout.

Or bite the bullet and move the pipe and hole farther up.

A case of measure twice and drill once.

Last edited:

Mikes97gts

Reaction score
Any ideas without removing it again? They drywall is already up and the surround was a B*TCH to fit in. I may be able to pull it from the back if I need to. I was thinkin of trying to fill the gap with caulk but that is a biiig gap...

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You've been given the only fair options.
Remembering that you are the one that will have to look at it every day for the rest of your life should lead you to the best answer.

Last edited:

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Grab a piece of solid surface counter material - you can even find some sections used as door thresholds in the tile section of Lowes - cut it into a square bigger than the diameter of the spout (laminate a few pieces together if you need a thicker piece than you have), then carve / shape one end so it will fit the countour of the surround. Drill a hole in the middle, pull the spout, slide the piece over the pipe and against the wall, re-install the spout, then caulk everything well. If you're lucky it won't look like a complete hack - just a partial one.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
You only have 1 option, tear out the surround and install the spout stubout higher.

If your tub spout is a screw on model, then scribing it with a grinder will not allow you to spin it on past the contour, and you will be stuck with a trashed spout. If your tub spout is a slip on model, then scribing it with a grinder will still not allow you to tighten the hex nut from underneath as the contour will be in the way; and besides, you will probably have destroyed the mounting system while trying to alter the spout.

Good Point about not being able to use a slip on spout
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks