sewer pipe cast iron replaced with pvc

Users who are viewing this thread

A

allison8365

I had a crack in my cast iron sewer pipe in my basement that needed to be be replaced. The plumber cut off about a 10' section and replaced it with BLACK pvc. Is that ok? I never saw black pvc only white.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The black is probably ABS, not PVC. It is widely used in drain systems and perfectly acceptable.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
Yes, the black material is ABS or All Black Shit, not the same as PVC.
ABS is the standard material for drain piping in residental applications.
Commercial tyically needs to be Cast Iron.

In the repairs that I've done, I've cut out Cast Iron and replaced with ABS using Hubless connectors to join the two. Works great

Michael
Sac City Plumbing

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The preceding answers were correct, but just to clarify PVC and ABS for general information. They are both a type of plastic, but they have difference chemical properties. About the only time you need to know this is if you want to tie on to the existing PVC or ABS with and additional drain. These plastic pipes to not "glue" together in the traditional sense of gluing. The so-call glue or cement used is actually a solvent that melts the top surfaces of the pipe and fitting for a few seconds. When the two pieces are slipped together, the liquid surfaces fuse together and created a chemical bond or welt. Each type of pipe uses it's own chemical solvent, so it is not OK to mix ABS and PVC. Actually, you could, but it would require a no hub connector, and this would add extra expense. Just use ABS to mate with ABS, and PVC to mate with PVC. PVC is white, ABS is black.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks