Need new hot water heater - suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to have our current h/w heater replaced. It is a 40 gallon AO Smith gas heater. A plumber suggested a 50 gallon high recovery h/w heater, but didn't suggest a brand. Any suggestions?

He also quoted $2,000 (incl. tax) for the installation (incl. his purchase of a h/w heater). I am in NYC so I know prices are typically higher. Is it considered OK to ask what brand and model he intends to purchase?

Thanks all.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should know what he's intending to install.
I mainly install Bradford White and Rheem heaters.

Since most of my work is in and around Seattle and it's Eastside, I've been in the $900 plus tax range for a gas water heater installed.
But I know what it's like to move around NYC; I couldn't install them for the same price.

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry. Quick question. Do you know if it must be done by a licensed plumber? (I had a handyman who has installed a lot of these in the past quote me $1,000 for the job). Obviously, I would rather go with the plumber, that the 1k in price difference is pretty huge.

Cheers.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Technically, you probably are required to get a permit and that typically requires a licensed plumber (and adds to the costs). This does two things (all things being equal), helps to ensure it is done properly and gives you a second set of eyes to verify that. Now, your results may differ?! Lots of WH are installed without a permit and inspection, but some of them have problems, and it can cost you a bunch if for some reason you get caught (nosy neighbor?).

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
The company that I work for typically charges $1200 for a water heater change out. That includes everything, water heater, permit, inspections

A few weeks one of our employees changed out a water heater as side job, client did not want to pay the cost, and so the employee did it as a side job for $100 plus materials.
A gas leak and a small explosion and the company is currently being sued by the client for a job that they recieved no money on. Needless to say the employee is no longer works there.

Be careful of the discounts, without the contractors license the risk are yours to take.

Michael

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; A gas leak and a small explosion and the company is currently being sued by the client for a job that they recieved no money on.

Usually the employee tries to "convert" it to a company job after there is a problem. The company should have ZERO liability, since the customer obviously knew the job was NOT being done legitimately, and should not have had a company invoice. The installer may not work for the company, but its insurance company, if they have to pay the damages, WILL try to get the money back from the installer.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
It's California and we can sue for anything, being able to win is another.
My assumption is that it is cheaper to try and resolve the issue than to fight it.

THe owner is very careful with his license and trys to avoid issues,

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
I've always wondered what the difference is between a "water heater" and a "hot water heater" ... does one of them produce hotter water? :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks