Toilet Flange too High

Users who are viewing this thread

jacksmith7

Reaction score
I know this is a common topic, but I haven't been able to find an answer to my specific question. My basement was roughed in for a bathroom and, after I put down the tile, I cut the 4" PVC stack off flush with the surface of the tile thinking the toilet flange would be resting on top of the tile when I installed it. What I did not notice was the Oatey stainless steel/PVC toilet flange has a ridge on the underside that keeps it from bottoming out against the PVC stack and the bottom of the stainless steel fastening ring is 3/8" above the top of the floor tile instead of resting on it.

The result is the measurement from the top of the floor tile to the top of the toilet flange is 3/4". I plan to put in a Kohler Cimarron toilet. Is the flange too high to allow the toilet to rest on the floor, or am I going to have to try to cut the flange out and redo the job? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a 3" or 4" pipe coming up, pick up a Sioux Chief TKO closet flange.
If fits over a 3" and inside the 4"

Attachments

• C884ptm.jpg
    C884ptm.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,280
Last edited:

jacksmith7

Reaction score
Terry,
That's similar to the Oatey I used and it is glued to the inside of my 4" stack. Do you think I'll have to replace the one I put in and, if so, how do I get the old one out and still be able to glue a new one in? Thank you.

jacksmith7

Reaction score
I took out the toilet flange and, as it turns out, the ceramic floor tile had been carried close to the PVC stack where the concrete floor was raised and that was holding the flange too high. I chipped away floor tile and installed a new flange...it now rests tight against the floor. I'm putting in a Kohler Cimarron and for anyone who's interested, the distance from the base of the toilet to inside web is 13/16". I guess a flange ring could be 1/4" off the floor and the toilet could be installed okay, but mine was 7/16" from the floor and that would have been cutting it too close. Thanks to all who responded.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks