Softener System Recommendation - Please Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Designie

Reaction score
This is our new house and we need a softener system as we are ready to have the hot water tanks and such installed. The plumbing has been on for awhile now, just to use toilets, test the fixtures and get water for mixing grout and such.

The well is 240 ft deep. The well log shows 6 gpm of flow from the well and a static water level of 30 ft. The submersible pump is a 10 GPM and I am seeing around 8-10 GPM flow at the pressure tank. I have a 32 gallon pressure tank with a 40/60 switch. The house has 3-1/2 baths and 2 kitchen sinks. My wife and I and 3 yr old twins will live there.

I had a comprehensive water test done by a local lab here in Michigan. Complete results are listed below.

Got a recommendation from Ohio Pure Water for a Fleck 2510 40,000 grain system, 1.25 cu. ft. resin with 10 GPM SFR and 2.5 GPM backwash. Also they recommended a RO system for drinking water.

Does anything look surprising about my water test? Anything you can add? We need a system soon, I don't want to start messing up appliances and hot water tanks. I really do not know much about softeners, can someone please recommend a system for me?

Thank You all!

Ron.

Water Test Results:

Physical Factors:

Alkalinity (Total) 210 mg/L
Hardness 120 mg/L
pH 7.7
Total Dissolved Solids 1500 mg/L
Turbidity 0.8 NTU

Inorganic Analytes – Metals:

Aluminum ND
Arsenic ND
Barium ND
Cadmium ND
Calcium 28.2 mg/L
Chromium ND
Copper 0.013 mg/L
Iron 0.066 mg/L
Lead 0.002 mg/L
Magnesium 12.50 mg/L
Manganese 0.016 mg/L
Mercury ND
Nickel ND
Potassium 5.2 mg/L
Selenium ND
Silica 9.460 mg/L
Silver ND
Sodium 514 mg/L
Zinc 0.013 mg/L

Inorganic Analytes – Other:

Chloride 620.0 mg/L
Fluoride 1.7 mg/L
Nitrate as N ND
Nitrite as N ND
Ortho Phosphate ND
Sulfate 170.0 mg/L

Organic Analytes – Trihalomethanes:

Bromodichloromethane ND
Bromoform ND
Chloroform ND
Dibromochloromethane ND
Total THMs ND

Organic Analytes – Volatiles:

1,1,1,2-Tetrachloroethane ND
1,1,1-Trichloroethane ND
1,1,2,2-Tetrachloroethane ND
1,1,2-Trichloroethane ND
1,1-Dichloroethane ND
1,1-Dichloroethene ND
1,1-Dichloropropene ND
1,2,3-Trichlorobenzene ND
1,2,3-Trichloropropane ND
1,2,4-Trichlorobenzene ND
1,2-Dichlorobenzene ND
1,2-Dichloroethane ND
1,2-Dichloropropane ND
1,3-Dichlorobenzene ND
1,3-Dichloropropane ND
1,4-Dichlorobenzene ND
2,2-Dichloropropane ND
2-Chlorotoluene ND
4-Chlorotoluene ND
Acetone ND
Benzene ND
Bromobenzene ND
Bromomethane ND
Carbon Tetrachloride ND
Chlorobenzene ND
Chloroethane ND
Chloromethane ND
cis-1,2-Dichloroethene ND
cis-1,3-Dichloropropene ND
DBCP ND
Dibromomethane ND
Dichlorodifluoromethane ND
Dichloromethane 0.003 mg/L - 0.005 EPA Primary
EDB ND
Ethylbenzene ND
Methyl Tert Butyl Ether ND
Methyl-Ethyl Ketone ND
Styrene ND
Tetrachloroethene ND
Tetrahydrofuran 0.02 mg/L - No EPA Rating
Toluene ND
trans-1,2-Dichloroethene ND
trans-1,3-Dichloropropene ND
Trichloroethene ND
Trichlorofluoromethane ND
Vinyl Chloride ND
Xylenes (Total) 0.002 mg/L - 10 EPA Primary

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 40k is the max capacity with max salt setting.

Looks like there is nothing realy in the water save for the hardness.

Would the 2510 have the SXT or other?

Designie

Reaction score
The one they quoted would not, but they have that same softener with the SXT for $50.00 more. Is that something I would want? Does the 2510 sound like the right choice for me?

Thanks.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
2510 is a great valve that has a good history.

If the system is set up with eco salt settings, not the max then 27500 would be the capcity, and if that is then devided by the 8 grains(7+1)just to be safe, then 3400 gallons would be the gallons that the unit could treat. The normal 2510 meter only goes to 2100 gallons.
The SXT would see the extra gallons, or you need to get the ext range meter dome and the ext meter on the timer assembly ....

JKERN

Reaction score
The 50.00 you spend on that sxt will save you some headache. It is proven electronics and not to mention your average home owner is not a water treatment proffesional it is much easier to deal with than the electromechanical timer and meter assembly. Not to mention with the sxt you have battery back up so if your power goes out it will save your settings until the power comes back on.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The TDS is very high and the chloride is also; both are above the EPA 'standards'. Sulfate is somewhat high but not above the 250 'allowed'. The TDS will impact on the ability to soften the water.

A regular RO will not last long on 1500 TDS and 620 ppm of chloride.

I would go a 1.5 cuft with a 2510 SXT programmed to use as little salt as possible. Click the link in my signature for info on that.

Designie

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

It seems as I will go with a 1.5 cu. ft. system with a Fleck 2510 SXT valve. After that, I don't know if I will get a RO system or not.

Does anyone actually use their softened water without RO for drinking and/or cooking? My neighbor across the street is also a friend of mine of 20 years. He has had a softener similar to this and has been using his water for everything, drinking, cooking, ice etc. for about 12 years.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many do and many do not use softener water for drinking.
Some have bought into the oh my the salt that is added.......... and for some that might be true, but look up how much soduim is added pre grain removed. Then look at the rest of the food that you are eating to see how much soduim is in it... shocker......

Designie

Reaction score
That's what I was asking, I wasn't sure what was actually in "softened" water. I know it adds some salt, but I'm not worried about that. I love salt!!!! :D

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Softener resins are in the sodium form, meaning the softener will add sodium to the water at the rate of 7.85 mg/l per gpg ion exchange. I.E. 10 gpg total compensated hardness = 78.50 mg/l of added sodium.

Salt is sodium chloride, the chloride part of the softener salt (sodium chloride) is run to drain and not used or added to the softened water stream, hence no added salt to your water, sodium only but..... high sodium intake is not good for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks