new member old problem...french drain setup and well

Users who are viewing this thread

88rxn/a

Reaction score
hello everyone, great forum! sorry for the long post.
i been having flooding problems (in the east coast...go figure!) and im in the market for a better setup/pump.
in my yard i have a large french drain setup that basically goes around the house and it all leads to an old sewer cement tank berried up to the top. in the tank i have a submersible sump pump with a float switch. this pump is just not up to the task. during the summer it can keep up most of the time but spring and fall it never works correctly. it is connected by a GFCI outside next to it and either cannot keep up or pops the GFCI. the pump is connected to 1 1/2 corrugated flexible pipe until it reaches the surface then to CPVC and travels to a drain/ditch that runs along the property. the incline is about 5FT and travels 10-15 FT across the yard underground in the CPVC. is there some other inexpensive BIGGER pump i can get that will keep up to my problem and not have to run as much and blow the GFCI?
id like it to be submersible and flow MUCH more than the current one i have. its just a standard float switch pump.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If it cannot keep up, it sounds like you need a bigger pump. As for tripping the GFCI, I doubt it is from current load or any genuine ground fault. Some GFCIs are prone to nuisance trips from motor loads. When the float switch shuts off the pump, only the hot is cut, not the neutral. The magnetic field in the motor can induce back onto the neutral and trip the GFCI. When you go shopping for a new pump, you might want to use a double pole switch instead.

http://www.deanbennett.com/pressure-switches.htm

88rxn/a

Reaction score
great idea! it would/will be nice to not have to worry about the GFCI tripping. as for pumps, any suggestions? when i search online the only thing i can think of is MORE sump pumps in the same family (float type switch from a local hardware store) as the one installed now. are there different kinds of submersable pumps i can use that would do a better job?
a high flow GPH with that switch you provided might just be the ticket.

**EDIT**
could i use a pond pump with that switch?
http://www.filterace.com/detail.aspx?ID=1181

sorry if i cannot post links?

Last edited:

88rxn/a

Reaction score
took the advice and bought a zoeller M98. at 4300 GPH it should shoot the water out of that tank pretty good! im going to scrub down the walls, pump it all out and put this as the primary. the existing pump will go on some bricks and be a secondary.
hopefully this will keep the pressure down from under the house and keep the water out of it!
next is to dig a pit in the basement and add ANOTHER M98.
im not sure what the flow rate is on the other pump but im betting its half of the zoeller. you cant go wrong with all the great reviews they get. i also got the one with the 2 pole switch to cure the tripping of the GFCI like stated!
thanks afain everyone!! if you care for an update just let me know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks